Mastic vs Silicone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a window frame fitted to a garage. I have a few gaps around the outside of the existing wooden door frame, and around the inside of the window (in the wall brickwork, not directly related to the window installation.

I bought from my local DIY centre some Evo-Stik "Frame mastic". On the tube it does say "overpaintable", so I assumed that it would skin and cure. However after 72 hours it is still soft and wet/sticky to the touch, and comes off on skin/clothes.

I went onto the Bostik (parent company) website, and this particular Evo-Stik product is not even listed. I have sent an email asking about it.

So, NOW I am thinking about this.
- what is the difference between Mastic and Sealant (eg silicone based)
- should I expect "Mastic" to skin ?
- perhaps I could have used some form of "cement" or exterior polyfilla, but I wanted something I could "inject" with a gun, into deep voids.
Would a "caulk" have been better? Are any suitable for exterior use?
I wanted to improive the security as well as sealing gaps.

I suspect I might need to dig out the mastic and start again (as best I can).
Fortunately it is a garage and not a main room.

Sponsored Links
True 'mastic' as i understand it is an oil based formula that does take time to skin (particularly in cold weather) and is paintable. I would not be alarmed at the fact that it is still sticky.

Even after a decade and a half good mastic is still pliable beneath the skin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back