Matching patterned wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Newbie to the forum & wondering if anyone can help?
I'm currently redecorating my daughters bedroom & I'm pretty much finished. anyway, we picked a patterned paper that has different coloured horizontal & vertical lines (looks nice & both girls are happy). I noticed that yet again the patterns are slightly out! (All batch numbers were the same) I'd start lining up from the top as usual & as I'm working down the paper the pattern is getting further out of line. Every time I hang patterned paper it never matches up perfect.

is it something I'm doing wrong or does patterned paper never match up perfect?

Sponsored Links
Patterns on wallpaper should match up perfectly.

Possible reasons for their not doing so:

1. Cheap wallpaper which is incorrectly printed.

2. Walls not flat, so paper has to fill hollows/go over slight bumps which skews the pattern matching

3. Over-handling of paper when wet (e.g. during soaking time and when applying to wall), which can stretch it in places.

If you want to reduce the risk next time, buy a decent quality, paste-the-wall paper, crossline the wall first with 1000 grade lining paper, allow to dry for 24 hours then hang the top paper using the same adhesive as for the lining.

I allowed someone to persuade me to hang a cheapo paper recently (£4 per roll from B & M!)...what a nightmare. The pattern matched (just about) but the black ink on the pattern came off on the smoothing-out brush.

I quite like Zoffany £85 per roll papers, personally...:) but you don't have to pay that much to get something that will behave itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back