Maths Calc teaser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me how to work out the Kw usage of a plate heat exchanger using Primary and return flow rates when no demand for hot water or heating is needed. (Basically a valve is passing and want to work out the heat loss from the plate, due to the valve passing).

So lets assume the following:
  • Primary flow rate to the plate is 80c and the return temperature is 75c.
  • the flow meter fitted to the Primary return is registering 700 litres per hour.
What else would I need to calculate temperature loss from the plate heat exchanger In Kw per hour?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need the Specific Heat Capacity of Water, which is measured in Joules/kg/K. This is approximately 4.18 J/kg/K.

700 litres/hr is 700/3600 = 0.194 litres per sec. The rate of heat loss = 0.194 x 4.18 x (80-75) = 4.05 kW.

So, in one hour, the heat loss will be 4.05 kWh.

I have assumed that the density of water is 1 kg/litre.

You need the Specific Heat Capacity of Water, which is measured in Joules/kg/K. This is approximately 4.18 J/kg/K.

700 litres/hr is 700/3600 = 0.194 litres per sec. The rate of heat loss = 0.194 x 4.18 x (80-75) = 4.05 kW.

So, in one hour, the heat loss will be 4.05 kWh.

I have assumed that the density of water is 1 kg/litre.

You are an absolute star, many thanks

Sorry to be a pain but im having a thick moment. I am trying to set up an Excel spread sheet where I can enter formulas into it and give me total cost losses. I have tried to alter (80-75) in my formula to (80-78), but it seems to mess up the calculation and give a bigger loss rather than less?

Sponsored Links
Yes, the loss should be smaller as you have only a two degree temperature differential, not a five degree.

To say where you have gone wrong, I need to know how you have laid out the spreadsheet and the formula you have created.

I presume the circulation is by gravity, not pumped, so the flow rate will change with temperature. You therefore can't assume it will be a constant 700 litres/hour.

Thanks for getting back to me and offering to help out.

The plate heat exchangers are installed on a district heating system and yes the flow rates do fluctuate but i am using average flow rates for my calculations.
Would it be possible to contact you by email, I could then send you my spreadsheet, containing formulas.

For what ever reason it does not give the end calculations correctly in its made up format.

Thanks

Sorry, but I never divulge my email address on a forum. Maybe this will help:

Assuming:

A1 = Flow temp (deg C)
A2 = Return temp (deg C)
A3 = Flow rate (litres per hour)
A4 = heat lost (kW)

Then the formula in A4 should be: =(A1-A2)*4.18*A3/3600

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back