Maths Homework For An 11 Year Old

Sponsored Links
Precisely,so you have to assume it was completed.

Assume nothing - never assume anything.

The idea was to see the effect of this system on promotion and relegation, hardly possible with an incomplete league.

In a way yes, that's the reason for the proposed change to the points system but if the question was asking what effect it had on promotion and relegation it would have asked to order the teams based upon the old and new points systems.

You may be correct, but I think its a flawed question.

It's not flawed, it's deliberately vague and deliberately contains information that is largely irrelevent to the actual question.

I want to say it's ambiguous but it isn't that either since there is actually only one answer. Whether or not I have that answer correct remains to be seen though.[/i]

You're right, it ain't football - it's maths.
It very much is not maths. :rolleyes:

They want kids to try and think outside of the box.
If you're right then it's a poor imitation of an exercise in logic and lateral thought, since it works only by virtue of some tenuous semantics.

Wasn't like that when I as a kid I tell ya!
On the contrary: IIRC, 'twas ever thus.

Of coure it's maths. It's no different to an equation where you're asked to say what the value of a is. Except of course that it's filled out with some tenuous semantics as you say. I don't disagree on that but then questions of a problem solving nature usually are.

Maths when I was in school involved nothing of the like, unfortunately. Probably just my school. Wasn't exactly the best school in the country.

Sponsored Links
The question is about..............analysis of the information provided

One piece of info I 'forgot' to include, was that the homework was in fact, part of a maths challenge handed out to children of proven mathematical ability. :D

As I said before Sam is not a reliable source and therefore the rest of the question is irrelevant and the maths teacher that set that question should be Interrogated as to why he or she is asking such questions of unimportance and whether they should reconsider relocation into another job at the school which doesn't influence the education of the students and their progress. BTW nice post ninebob :LOL:

Staying on that subject TW, did you ever do anything bad enough at school to warrant corporal punishment or was that abolished before you came along?
No ashamed to say i had the cane, for swearing at the teacher :oops:

I remember one of the school neds shouting obscenities at me from the other end of the corridor and all of the kids in the classrooms in between heard him. He never returned to school after that , but I do know that on the first day at his new school he squirted some lighter fuel on to the boy sitting in front of him, and set it alight.

Sponsored Links
Back