matt over satin in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thought id drop in for a bit of advice.
my kitchen has been painted in focus dark salmon satin water based paint which in my opion is horrible in colour and apperance.

Im looking to paint over this with with a lighter colour kitchen/bathroom waterbased paint from dulux or crown.

Any idea if the old satin waterbased paint will need rubbing down before repainting with the water based matt paint
How may coats will it take to cover the dark salmon?

Also when picking colours to paint over magnolia will all paint come out darker than on the tin when dry?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You mean woodwork? You can paint straight over the satin after a light rub down to provide 'key' ..
Paint always seems to be a very slight shade darker when applied than the colour indicated on the tin or in the book .. ;)

thanks for the reply.sorry i ment painting the kitchen walls

i have deceide i am going for a darkish blue to go over the dark salmon colour satin which is currently on the walls

so will painting darkish blue over the dark salmon make the blue alot darker or a funny shade of blue or should it be ok as long as i give the old dark salmon satin a quick rub down first?

or would i be better off giving it a coat of light undercoat (white?) before i apply the blue?

many thanks

A good quality trade matt such as Dulux vinyl matt should cover that salmon satin in two coats easily..
you shouldnt need to rub down unless theres obvious imperfections on the existing finish..
If the blue is lighter than youre describing then a white emulsion basecoat before the blue coats would help ;)

Sponsored Links
thank you very much indeed

so i can go straight over the satin with a quality matt vinyl without having to key the salmon. (is the dulux one you mentioned suitable for kitchens)

once again thank you so much for the help

So long as the satin on the walls is water-based (ie. emulsion) then vinyl matt emulsion will go straight on..If the walls have been painted with oil/solvent-based paint then you'll need to rub-downd lightly to provide a key..
Vinyl matt is fine for a kitchen but if you want a very durable 'scrubbable'
finish , kid & pet-proof , then try Dulux Diamond Matt ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back