Painting over water-based satin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I've just started to paint some skirting boards in a water-based dark brown satin, got a third of the way around the room and decided I hated it. I'd like to repaint them in the same colour as the walls, which is an ivory matt emulsion. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to sand down the satin before doing this but can anybody confirm this before I start? Don't want to make more work for myself if I don't have to!
Thanks guys :D

Sponsored Links
Skirting have to be white - no other colour works.

Hey I'm Kate to ha
Ignore 90 he's already upset me as you will see by reading my posts
Titled dr dec
As far as your question satin is a matt finish so you will only need to give a slight run down to remove any high spots
And to create a key it will be easy as its not high sheen

As they are dark brown you might be better off undercoating these areas so your lighter colour covers better.

Kate x

I think your credibility might be waning darling. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Can you two just ignore each other or something? else every post is going to turn into a joke, thanks.

Def needs keying with a rub down, you could try something like zinsser 123 tinted light grey followed by two top coats of choice. Either way you need a primer with good obliteration, cover stain could be another option

Again 90 just using my small amount of knowledge to help
Have you helped? Kate atall

Me and 90 are cool now dcdec we will behave ourselves
All the best Kate with the skirts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back