Matt Paint Drying To Fast

Sponsored Links
I've found that dulux retail dries faster than trade, so the first thing you can do is try trade emulsions if you havn't already. The other thing you can do which should help you greatly is get yourself some floetrol to add to the paint.

Sponsored Links
Have you asked yourself why no-one else has this problem and no-one knows what you are talking about?

If you are looking down the walls in the light you will always find faults.

Its not really a common problem. It does obviously depend what your painting, i presume its pre-painted walls and not bare plaster or board. If its really bothering you try a sealer like zinsser gardz over the walls first, this will address any parts of the wall that are sucking in moisture and give you an even porousity throughout the whole surface area. The floetrol is a conditioner that keeps the paint open for longer so less chance of drying marks. Hiring two pro painters doesn't mean a lot these days, they're probably only self titled pro's as i would expect a good pro painter too easily solve this problem.

Five different types of paint and two pro painters and no-one can sort your problem?

Something isn't right. :rolleyes:

I'm also having a nightmare with matt emulsion paint at the moment.

It dries very quickly. I'm supposed to be decorating the bedroom, started with Dulex one coat matt emulsion, which gave terrible results, patchy and loads of shadows. Dries really fast.

Tried a little research and found that wickes vinyl matt emulsion was supposed to be good. So bought 2 x 5 litre tins. Just tried it and both tins seem contaminated with sand or grit.... Also dries too fast, on the tin says touch dry in 1-2 hours. I found it was more like 30 mins.

Painting a wall really shouldn't be so hard......

Re the contamination, did you dust off the lids before you opened the can?
The shed paints get all sorts of crap on them.

I think maybe you guys might find adjusting your technique might help. Dont start half way up in the middle of the wall like you see on 60 minute makeover, roll up and down about two roller widths at a time, gently lay off by back rolling and leave the wall with the roller spinning, then roll your next one fishing by rolling just into previous section and laying gently off again. Don't overload the sleeve and dont press hard trying to get every last bit of paint off it and onto the wall, apply with medium pressure and using a short pole is much quicker if space allows.

I think I've worked out what the OP has done. He's put his first coat on at full strength - not thinned at all. His wall was absorbent and drew the water out of the paint - which then dried instantly. This has given him random and heavy roller stipple. His subsequent coats simply colour the old roller stipple - and hence he can't get rid of it.

What he needs to do is get a sanding block and 80 grit paper and sand all the stipple away. Then apply his fresh coats well watered down - say about 10% for the first coat then 5% after that.

I'm going to give that a go, to see if it helps as soon as I can get some decent paint, didn't tilt the lid when I took it off.

I'm not sure what the grit is, it's almost like sand, regular shape. I'm 100% sure it's a manufacturing defect. I'll take it back to wickes and try a different brand.

Thanks for the help :)

OK have it your way. :rolleyes:

You are going to have to go for a completely flat paint - a 'non-vinyl' or you'll have to live with the way that vinyl looks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back