Mattress science

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been looking at the iGel mattresses sold by Bensons. They claim to solve the problem of memory foam being too hot for some people, by incorporating "crystals" of a phase change material in the top layer. They say this regulates temperature between 35C and 37C throughout the night.

My understanding would be that when you first go to bed, and the bed starts to get warm, these PCM crystals essentially melt, and that requires energy which is sucked out of your body, cooling you down. But surely that is a one time process? Once they have melted, do they stay in a liquid form for the rest of the night. If so, the benefit of the cooling will only be right at the start of the night. I would be grateful for any thoughts, scientific or otherwise.

Asking for a friend.

Sponsored Links
What's the cost of one of these?

Maybe you can install a split system air con and get a regular mattress from Ikea.

Most back problems are fixed by stretching and exercise not laying on a posh bed.

What's the cost of one of these?

Maybe you can install a split system air con and get a regular mattress from Ikea.

Most back problems are fixed by stretching and exercise not laying on a posh bed.

They start at £950 for a double.

It's not for me. But I am also prone to overheating from foam mattresses, so can sympathise. It's not something air con can fix. Basically your body where it is touching the mattress, especially bum and calves, feels like it is on fire. I just like a simple and cheap 1000 pocket mattress, because I am very lucky not to have any back problems.

My current mattress cost £190, 14 years ago, and when I need a new one, the replacement model is still only £265.

Last edited:
I find the best mattress for heat regulation is mine

Eve Original Hybrid, just don't pay full price.

Sponsored Links
. They claim to solve the problem of memory foam being too hot for some people
I had one of those memory foam mattresses.
They are supposed to remember your shape.
It was very uncomfortable .
I think this one must of had Dementia.

Back