Max heating loop / branch length

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm optimising the heating loop a bit on our home as part of a larger renovation and wondering if I'm hitting any design limits on my system, or if this could be considered optimal. This will all be fed by a Nibe F2040-16 (16kw) air source heat pump.

The feed/return loop runs as a U shape (22mm in a mix of speedfit and copper) across ground floor and then back the other direction across the first floor, for a total of 20.5m. Feed / return on the loop is connected to 13 radiators total using 15mm speedfit. Most branches feed either 1-2 radiators in a single room or run via 22mm => 15mm manifolds with individual 15mm pipe runs off the manifold to each rad. The longest branch is about 5m.

The longest 15mm pipe run (5m) is at about 15m into the overall 22mm pipe run, but I could branch this off earlier in the loop with a bit more work. Should I try to optimise this a bit further by shortening any of the branches?

Sponsored Links
It needs calculated. Properly. I'd be surprised if the 22mm was even big enough given the number of rads on the system, although they could be 13 tiny rads with a massively over specced heat pump.

FYI even 28mm pipe will be pushing it on a 16kw heat pump if that's the actual heating load. 35mm would be more appropriate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back