Maximum cable length

Many thanks to all for very helpful advice, looks like I'll be lifting floorboards some time soon :D

Sponsored Links
Disk said:
I would be grateful for some help re the following: Where the floor area served by a domestic power ring main falls within the 100sqm max, does the recommended max 60m cable length refer to the total cable ring length from and back to Fuse board or half of the overall length because of the effect of the ring?

I am having a similar problem on a house I'm rewiring :confused:
Ground floor ring circuit supplying 9 twin sockets,
Total floor area = 43m2
Total ring circuit length = 80m
All ground floors are concrete,

Would it be practicle/allowable to run a length of 4mm2 earth cable from the middle socket on the ring, Back to the main earth terminal in the consumer unit to reduce the earth loop impedance, And supply a "Clean Earth" at the socket for a computer etc :confused:
Basically it will be splitting the ring circuit earth into two earth rings :rolleyes:

I would say No.....is the Zs high? and would the CPC's be split (basically two rings?)

il78 said:
I would say No.....is the Zs high? and would the CPC's be split (basically two rings?)

Zs = 0.8
(R1+R2) = 0.75
MCB = 32a Type B

CPCs will not be split,
The 4mm2 additional earth cable will simply provide a more direct path for fault currents, Rather than it having to flow around an 80m CPC, :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back