Fused spur Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a friend asking me if he can put power to his shed ... the run from the shed to the nearest ring main socket is around 20m.
I know Section 7.2.2 of the OSG says 'as a rule of thumb for rings, unfused spur lengths should not exceed 1/8 the cable length from the spur to the furthest point of the ring'
This 20m will exceed this ..... but if this done as a fused spur then the overriding factor would be voltage drop.
20m at Max 13A would be served by 1.5mm ...... if upsized for a bit of safety factor to 2.5mm, if there anything stopping this approach being used.

Assumes RCD protected ring .. otherwise would make fused spur RCD protected.

Sponsored Links
I know Section 7.2.2 of the OSG says 'as a rule of thumb for rings, unfused spur lengths should not exceed 1/8 the cable length from the spur to the furthest point of the ring'
The OSG invented that one. The regulations themselves (BS7671) say no such thing, and I personally can't see and sense or logic behind what the OSG says.

Kind Regards, John

So if I suggest the fused spur route - then all I need to really worry about is voltage drop.

Sponsored Links
So if I suggest the fused spur route - then all I need to really worry about is voltage drop.
I wouldn't say 'all'.

You also need to 'worry about' whether the socket from which you intend to take the spur is actually 'on the ring' (rather than being a spur itself), and also what type of cable we are talking about, and how it is going to get from the house to the shed.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back