Electrics in shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I want to install electrics in my shed. Its about 20m away from the house.

I currently have a single outdoor socket, which i wanted to add an RCD Spur and run 2.5mm swa to the shed and install a small garage unit for the socket and the light. Obviously only allowing up to 13Amp from the fcu.

When looking at the socket out doors, it only had one 2.5mm cable going into it. I then traced this back, and it comes off another double socket in the kitchen which is an unfused spur coming off the back of a socket part of the final ring. Therefore i have two sockets (one inside and one outside) that are a radial circuit of the back of a double socket in the ring main. When looking in the regs, this doesnt comply, which really irritates me as i had a full house rewire a year ago.

What suggestions do people have. Is it accetable adding a RCD Spur off the out door socket and not wooring about it? Should I make it a fused connection spur off the rin main, and then can i have another spur off that?

Any ideas would be most welcomed!!

WHen looking in the regs book, this l

Sponsored Links
NO you must not spur of whats there existing.

If you only want a socket and light in the shed, then you can spur off the outside socket, as long as you fit a fused connection unit before the first spur socket. so:

[code:1]ring main socket
|
fused connection unit
|
socket inside
|
socket outside
|
|
shed socket
|
3 amp fuse unit
|
light[/code:1]

But it has to be pointed out, the total load on all the sockets after the FCU can not be more than 13 amps. Its not the best design.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part p
This work is notifiable.

It must go through your FCU first before any sockets not part of ring main. Since Sir Aberteifi is part of Wales you will also have Part P which for Wales is at the moment fixed at £100 +Vat and for such a small job it is likely it would not cost that much more to get a registered electrician to do the work so I would think just not worth DIY.

You'd be best off disconnecting the supply cable to the outside socket at the inside one and remove the link between the two.

Then supply the outside socket directly from your CU with a new 20A radial circuit. This can then be looped to a socket in the shed.

Supply a switched FCU from the socket to supply the light.

There is no point messing about with FCUs at the house end, or those silly little garage CUs

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back