Spur for a Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me please? iam wanting to run a spur out to my shed (approx 10metres). Can i run this spur from the socket loom? I were going to run a spur from a double socket, mount a 13amp fuse switch to the side of it and then run the 2.5mm cable from the back of this to the shed. All i want to run in the shed is a small freezer, a light and the odd tool now and then. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Putting a socket in a shed is not just a matter of installing a socket on the end of a cable.

The cable needs to be suitable in size, type (probably steel wire armoured and not standard twin & earth) and if burried to the proper depth with warning tape above it. If it's not underground it can't simply be attached to a fence.

Overhead cable needs to be to the correct height and suitably supported.

The cable can't just be attached to the circuit supplying sockets in the house, it needs its own dedicated supply.

As a detached building your shed needs its own consumer unit for isolation and suitable MCB and RCD protection.

Thanks for the help,

The shed is about 10 metres away not sure on the amps or kw. All i know is it will feed a small freezer and a light. I am planning on getting steel armoured cable and will dig a foot deep trench to run this in.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sorry forgot to mention that the CU is at the other end of the house so it would mean alot of work to run a feed from it. It is possible but i dont really want the hassle of pulling up the floor from one end of the house.

That's everyone's excuse :p Too much work to do it properly. Pah!

Doing it your way:

Take a spur from a socket using 2.5mm^2 twin and earth. Take that to a switched fused spur fitted with a 13A fuse. Take more 2.5mm^2 t&e to a metal adaptable box where you will join to the 2.5mm^2 SWA. Run SWA to the shed and fit a metal socket. If you want another socket run 2.5mm^2 t&e from the first metal socket to the next.

Remember to notify your BCO BEFORE you start the work and pay the fee. Failing that get a registered sparky to do it for you.

Davy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back