Spurs

Re the risks, when I replace the CU the shed lighting will be on it's own MCB (actually RCBO as I'd go all RCBO) anyway, so the inside lights won't effect the shed.

And it will be all ready to (re)wire into a new way (just pull out of existing MCB), rather than having to re-run any wires.

The greater plan is to eventually have a radial for shed and garden sockets on their own way, so maybe that influences the design.

I just don't want loads of wires clipped on face brickwork - I went to the effort of running in my own cables for Sky and BT so you can't see them enter the house (they go in straight behind the dish wall mount)

Sponsored Links
Re the risks, when I replace the CU the shed lighting will be on it's own MCB (actually RCBO as I'd go all RCBO) anyway, so the inside lights won't effect the shed. ... And it will be all ready to (re)wire into a new way (just pull out of existing MCB), rather than having to re-run any wires. ... The greater plan is to eventually have a radial for shed and garden sockets on their own way, so maybe that influences the design. ... I just don't want loads of wires clipped on face brickwork ...
Wouldn't all of those future requirements be served by a conventional approach of running a single 2- or 3- core SWA from house to shed (and, for the time being, taking a 3/5A FCU off that feed in the shed for lighting)?

Kind Regards, John

Not quite, as it would mean the lighting in there would still be on the socket circuit. But if the shed feed was on its own RCBO, would it really matter...

If I did have a radial for shed and garden sockets, could I have a FCU between them feeding a light? So the FCU supply side would be in/out between sockets, with the load side to light fitting.

CU
|
|
|
socket1
|
|
|------FCU------light fitting
|
|
socket2
|
|
|
socket3

Sponsored Links
Not quite, as it would mean the lighting in there would still be on the socket circuit. But if the shed feed was on its own RCBO, would it really matter...
If you only have a single power feed to the shed, no matter what (single) device it is protected by, there would obviously always be the risk that a fault on the shed sockets circuit would take out the shed lights (or vice versa).
If I did have a radial for shed and garden sockets, could I have a FCU between them feeding a light? So the FCU supply side would be in/out between sockets, with the load side to light fitting.
Yes, but if I understand you correctly, it would obviously have to be an FCU suitable for outdoor use.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back