Spur Clarification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ring main with 3 double sockets (not spurred off), 1 FCU directly connected to ring (i.e. not off a JB or off a socket), and 2 FCUs spured off JBs directly off the ring - can I spur off one of the sockets?

Another point. Can I tap directly off a ring main using a JB to feed kitchen wall unit lighting circuit?

Sponsored Links
If the sockets are on the ring, and do not already have spurs on them, you can spur off each. The total number of spurs must not exceed the number of sockets on the ring. I wonder why you have JBs instead of spurs off sockets?

The lighting spur must not be off a JB, it must be off an FCU with a 5A (or 3A) fuse in it. Mark the FCU "Kitchen lights - 5A Fuse" You can do this quite neatly with a permanent marker and white vinyl tape.

JohnD said:
If the sockets are on the ring, and do not already have spurs on them, you can spur off each. The total number of spurs must not exceed the number of sockets on the ring. I wonder why you have JBs instead of spurs off sockets?

The lighting spur must not be off a JB, it must be off an FCU with a 5A (or 3A) fuse in it. Mark the FCU "Kitchen lights - 5A Fuse" You can do this quite neatly with a permanent marker and white vinyl tape.

TY JD. Is a single storey...easier to tap off ring using JB and run cable down to exact position of FCU - anything wrong with that?

You can do. The most important thing is that the lighting circuit is fused down. You could use a switched FCU as a light switch, except there is a risk someone might think it was a mistake and replace it with a light switch. Best to run the lighting circuit in 1.5mm just in case someone puts in a 13A fuse by mistake (though this is not correct and light fittings are not safe at 13A)

*** Edited to say: If you are bringing the cables down from the loft, why not bring a lighting cable down and save the trouble? ******

Sponsored Links
Is a FCU wired off a JB directly off the ring main considered a spur when considering the socket outlets - number of spurs rule, or does it just apply to spurs coming directly off the sockets themselves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back