2.5mm spur of 4mm radial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In the back of the regs book there's an image of a 4mm radial circuit , there is then socket wired in 2.5mm spured from a jb

My question, is it OK to spur directly off a socket to feed 1 double in 2.5mm.

Attachments

• 20160102_095317.jpg
    20160102_095317.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 5,095
Sponsored Links
As you have pointed out appendix 12 says yes. Don't think you have an option try and get 3 x 4mm² into the socket terminals and it is hard as to 3 x 6mm² really hard. MK do seem to have larger terminals but in the main it is a physical restriction rather than technical.

Hi, yes depending on installation method and voltage drop.

Regards,

DS

Last edited:
The electrician has wired 3x 4mm cables to a couple sockets, and it was definitely a struggle when I put one back together that's why I was hoping to the same thing but with the smaller cable.

The socket won't be feeding anything heavy, just the odd kitchen top appliance ie a blender or toaster

Thank you

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Some terminals don't grip conductors of different sizes very well. Might be better to use 4mm², even if a little more difficult.

You can use 2.5 mm2 yes, however it would be more desirable if 4.0 mm2 was used if you ever wanted to add even more sockets from the new one.

You could consider jointing some of the cables at the existing socket using all 4.0 mm2 and some 30 amp connector blocks.

The regulations will allow for a double socket outlet to spurred from a 4.0mm radial in 2.5mm, but you will be restricted to only this. You will not be able to add further outlets, unless a 13A FCU is installed at the point were you take the original spur from.

But I would personal stick with 4.00mm throughout, then FCUs are not required on a socket circuit.

Last edited:
The regulations will allow for a double socket outlet to spurred from a 4.0mm radial, but you will be restricted to only this. You will not be able to add further outlets, unless a 13A FCU is installed at the point were you take the original spur from.
Just to be clear for the OP - that is only if 2.5mm² is used for the spur.

But I would personal stick with 4.00mm throughout.
Then the fuse is not required even with further added sockets.

The regulations will allow for a double socket outlet to spurred from a 4.0mm radial, but you will be restricted to only this. You will not be able to add further outlets, unless a 13A FCU is installed at the point were you take the original spur from.
Just to be clear for the OP - that is only if 2.5mm² is used for the spur.

But I would personal stick with 4.00mm throughout.
Then the fuse is not required even with further added sockets.
Sorry I did miss some details out, but was responding to the OPs question, where 2.5mm was mentioned, so would have thought my reply would have been sufficient. But have now edited to avoid any confusion.

Thanks for all the responses. Based on the feedback it think I'll go with the 4mm. I was trying to avoid a visit to the wholesalers.

Regards

Meshak

Yes it is fine as it has the same overload and fault protection as a spur from a 32A ring final circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back