Sockets and Rings - It Tripped out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok moved into a house and looking at the electrics. All the sockets are on a ring as it was re-wired a few years back, now there is one spur socket from one socket in the kitchen which a double socket comes off.

And in the bedroom, it looks like a spur JB has come off with one going into the loft with a single socket, then with this JB a double comes off aswell in the bedroom right by the JB. Then this goes into the room next door for another dbl socket. Now it look like 3 spurs are coming off, so this has to be set up as a ring, what is the best way as the spuring goes everywhere.

Sponsored Links
in your case i would suggest that it is rewired, it will be quicker, easier and safer

no sorry, i meant re wire all of it, that way you can make everything into a ring

Sponsored Links
Jordan - draw a plan of where there are sockets (and where you would like more, if this is the case), and draw the cables connecting them - then you should be able to see what would be the easiest way to integrate these spurs, and any new ones, into the ring...

yes, why not do as ban-all-sheds suggests, draw it first.

you could also look in the for referance "sticky" post

Ok i've gone into the Ring with a JB and then connected a FSU, DS, DS and DS. Then connected it all back around to the cut ring with another JB.

-----RING----[JB]-----FSU--DS--DS--DS---[JB]-----RING-----

1) Would it not have been possible to replace some of the existing cables and not had JBs?

-----RING---------FCU--DS--DS--DS--------RING-----

?

2) What's the FCU going to supply?

I kept the attic one as a spur from the bedroom, but done everything else from new.

FSU - A Bolier, as it had no plug on the thing, so it be easier higher up on the wall, and won't need to play with the plug then.

Ok It's Deff a Ring as i knocked the 'Kitchen Sockets' trip switch off and nothing worked.

Now i've gone into the ring like i said with JB and come back around to the same point with a JB. Now tonight i had the boiler on, a drill on charge and then put a power drill on and the whole house tripped out.

Have i done anything wrong, i've asked a few mates who know alot about electrics and they said what i was gonna do would be ok.

Now the ring comes back out from the kitchen, do i need to join to this.

[KITCHEN SOCKETS]----RING--[ My connections JB - FSU-DS-DS-DS-JB] - DS-DS-SS-DS----RING--------[KITCHEN SOCKETS]

[KITCHEN SOCKETS] - Ring from box.

Just to note:

The JB are in the kitchen attic, so don't want to go into the old sockets, so what else could have caused this to trip out.

Would it be the JB?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back