Spurring safety question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a house a year ago and my GF's step dad did some electrical work for us.

He fitted two double sockets and one single socket off one JB, so the JB goes to one double socket and then onto the next double. The single socket is spurred off the same JB but in a different direction (not linked in series with the two doubles). Only recently have I realised it was done this way and I'm concerned, should I alter it so all sockets are on the ring ?

The single socket is on the landing and will only be used once a week for the hoover, the two doubles however are in my cinema room and will be running a powerful plasma TV, amp, games consoles etc...

We don't live there at the moment and nothing is plugged into any of the sockets so any potential problems this might cause haven't been brought to light yet.

Sponsored Links
He's a jack of all trades type, I've learned through experience to keep away from them.

He's a good plasterer though, I'll give him that.

Sponsored Links
So realistically, what would happen if I actually tried to run all that equipment off those two spurred double sockets ?

So realistically, what would happen if I actually tried to run all that equipment off those two spurred double sockets ?

You could overload that portion of the circuit.

I just don't like inlaws, infact most people on 'er side, apart from her sister, she's a bit of alright ;)

Realistically, though (a question to the electricians, not your good self) it's not going to draw that much current. is it?

A 42" plasma TV draws around 250W, a power amp probably a fair bit less. Games consoles, etc. So all in all, maybe 750W max?

I'm not suggesting that the OP *shouldn't* have his sockets wired into the ring, just questioning the assumption that a cinema room will have a high power requirement.

I'm going to put all sockets onto the ring regardless of whether or not the spurring would cause problems as it's easy to change at the moment (house is only half decorated and there's no carpets anywhere).

There's going to be a 42" plasma, Xbox, PS3, gaming PC, power amp, and a couple of smaller bits like docking stations powered by those two sockets. Out of curiosity then, what would actually happen ?

Realistically, though (a question to the electricians, not your good self) it's not going to draw that much current. is it?
I did write a long detailed sarcastic reply but then decided the question wasn't worth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back