spur questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can you wire a spur from a spur from a spur?

can you wire more than one spur from a single double socket, ie, two spurs directly from a single double socket?

Sponsored Links
Assuming that all the spurs are protected by an appropriate fuse, can you justify that?

The reason for the questions is basically this - I have been asked to wire a garage which stands separately from the house. The client does not want to me to put in a new consumer unit and feed it from the unit used for the house - the garage is quite some distance way from the house and would be a real pain in the arse to get too. A separate power supply is also out of the question.

The garage replaces an existing one which basically had two sockets, and a 5a spur spur for the lighting. These were fed as a chain of spurs from a double socket in the ground floor ring of the house - ie, a single leg from the socket was fed out to the garage through pvc conduit under the lawn.

I have a feeling that this is not ideal, but have been told i can get away with this is if i do it for the new garage as well. The new garage requires two double sockets, a single socket for the electric door, a 13a fcu for a fountain in the garden, an a 5a fcu for the lighting. The idea is to spur them from one another in a sort of radial from the house ring.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
spur off the socket, into a fused spur(13amp fuse), out to the garage, that way its a sub circuit, not a spur

AR

supersparks said:
spur off the socket, into a fused spur(13amp fuse), out to the garage, that way its a sub circuit, not a spur

AR

Couldn't agree more....and the garage is protected by the 13A fuse....

supersparks said:

AR

In this case i am assuming that the arrangement in the garage can now be treated as radial sub-circuit.

Can the sub-circuit be made into a ring, so that it originates and ends at the 13amp fused spur?

In this case i am assuming that the arrangement in the garage can now be treated as radial sub-circuit.

Can the sub-circuit be made into a ring, so that it originates and ends at the 13amp fused spur?[/quote]

Yes pretty much, trat as a radial, but why would you want to turn it into a ring? you would only gain more hard work./......

AR

I agree! It was just a hypothetical question.

Is there any maximum to the number of sub-circuits you can have originating from a ring?

got your back ban.........go head let him av' it :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back