Shed light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a light in my shed. Can I take a fused spur from an existing 13amp socket to feed the light? Do you get a 3amp fused spur or are the 3/5/13 amp fuses interchangeable in spur sockets?

Sponsored Links
You'll need a Fused spur at the house end. Another one (3A) in the shed to act as the light switch.

What type and size of cable did you think to use to get from house to shed, and how would you route this?

I want to install a light in my shed. Can I take a fused spur from an existing 13amp socket to feed the light? Do you get a 3amp fused spur or are the 3/5/13 amp fuses interchangeable in spur sockets?
Is there already electricity in the shed? - i.e. is the 'existing socket' in the shed or the house?

Kind Regards, John

Hi Guys, thanks for your replies. The shed has an existing 13A double socket supplied via the house consumer unit on a 2.5mm t&e wire armoured cable. I have now seen a 3A switched spur which I can use to supply a light. Thanks for looking. Andy.

Sponsored Links
Ahh, that's clearer

I have now seen a 3A switched spur which I can use to supply a light.

Most fused connection units come with a 13A fuse. If so, you'll need to swop the fuse to a 3A because you use much thinner cable for lighting.

... just to add, in case you have not already realised this - if you use a switched fused connection unit (with, as TTC says, a 3A fuse put into it) you can also use that as the 'light switch', without having to have a separate switch. ... something like:
CB4827.JPG

Kind Regards, John

But there are much nicer looking ones available!
I'm not sure that aesthetics are much of an issue in a shed, but it's obviously a matter of personal taste - do I take it that you would regard this as 'nicer'? ...
MKK1040.JPG

If so, I'm not convinced that I necessarily agree - particularly with the visible fuse-holder retaining screw!

Kind Regards, John

The MK one is alright, purely because it matches logic plus, however these, I would class as 'nicer'

Legrand
$_35.JPG

Hager (without flex outlet ofc)
41S3lIRRZ%2BL._SY300_.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back