Maximum floor joist spans

round
My bending stress in BS5268 shows 5.3N/mm which factors up to 6.1 with load sharing?
Quite correct and well-spotted!; I mistakenly looked at the C18 column, which gives 5.8, when of course it should have been 5.3 - should have kept that Specsaver's appointment.

Could I ask how you get to 6.1? I always assumed the load-sharing factor was 1.1, which takes it up to 5.83.

There is also the 'depth factor' we can apply which I think is 1.08 for 6"-deep timber, which takes it even higher, to just under 6.3.

Sponsored Links
round

Quite correct and well-spotted!; I mistakenly looked at the C18 column, which gives 5.8, when of course it should have been 5.3 - should have kept that Specsaver's appointment.

Could I ask how you get to 6.1? I always assumed the load-sharing factor was 1.1, which takes it up to 5.83.

There is also the 'depth factor' we can apply which I think is 1.08 for 6"-deep timber, which takes it even higher, to just under 6.3.

Similar thing Tony except my understanding is that the basic stresses are applicable to a 300 deep beam and there is a K7 factor - (300/h)0.11 - that can be applied for beams 72<h<300 (BS 5268 Cl.2.10.6)

Last edited:
Similar thing Tony except my understanding is that the basic stresses are applicable to a 300 deep beam and there is a K7 factor - (300/h)0.11 - that can be applied for beams 72<h<300 (BS 5268 Cl.2.10.6)
Which gives the same value as you, only difference I have to calculate it (or my spreadsheet does) and you memorise these values, awesome ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back