Maximum gap that can be sealed with silicone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently had some plaster work done and decided to include attending to the finish of a recently installed door into the job.

The installers of the door trimmed both the inside and exterior of the door with a plastic trim, due to the new door being of a slimmer profile than the old door. I decided I would like to remove all this trim and have the internal plastered and I would remove the exterior and re seal.

The internal reveal is now all freshly plastered and looks good. However, I have spent ages removing the exterior trim and excessive silicone back (with only moderate success).

I have sealed the frame with expanding foam, leveling any proud foam.
The top of the door below the steel will need to be retrimmed with plastic; I have this ready to be superglued in.

The problem I am faced with is that the opening is wider in some areas and I don't know how much silicone I can use; I don't want to retrim in plastic as I will have wasted a lot of time and do not really want that look.

Would someone please advise me on the maximum silicone bead that can be used please? From memory, the maximum gap between the frame and brick could be 15mm running down to only a few mm at it's tightest.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
15mm is easily sealable but i'd tape the frame and the wall, fill with silicone, wet your finger and away you go, peel tape off and you have 2 nice straight tidy seals.

Thanks Crank, masking tape won't stick to the brickwork but may try duct (Duck?) tape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back