Cavity Above UPVC Door Frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings

The interior trim on my UPVC door was very loose and drafty, having been stuck to the wallpaper which has since been stripped from the rest of the hallway (I'm new to the property so can accept no credit for this).

Removing this revealed a 15mm gap above the door frame which has not been filled, along with side cavities which have been mostly filled with foam. The top gap is drafty but completely dry internally, even in the recent stormy weather.

I've read that there needs to be a small gap under the exterior top trim for drainage (The outside of this same cavity), so my question is should I leave the top cavity and just cover the internal with trim, or should I fill with some form of insulation?

Thanks

View media item 87234

Sponsored Links
It looks like there is a damp course above the door there.

Make sure that is tipping towards the outside, then foam up the gap. Cover the top of the door with masking tape before foaming, as when it overspills it can cause staining, and be a pain to get off.

Then fit a trim to cover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back