Maximum length of Flue extending outside House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Can anyone advise on the following matter.

I moved into my current house 3 years ago, it was built in 2011 and has an Ideal Boiler that was installed in 2017.

I had the boiler serviced every year on a maintenance contract and on my recent service (a couple of days ago) the service engineer stated that my Flue extends too far outside the external wall and needs to be replaced in accordance with new regulations which came into place around 3 years ago.

As per the images below the boiler is close to the wall it exits from (the flue measures 16" to the wall) and outside it is a plastic flue that extends horizontally 12".

Is he correct and should the Flue be replaced? I notice the flue on my neighbours house is much shorter.

It was not mentioned on my previous service so I just wish to clarify if I should take any action

Many Thanks

IMG_20230322_171203607.jpg
IMG_20230322_171233097.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ideal don't like the white showing on their flues. To do with weather conditions.

They may not validate your warranty if any.

If he is that pedantic he could cut the existing flue shorter, you dont need a new flue

Do you have to conform with regs that have been brought in retrospectively, if so lots of people are going to have trouble with building regs?

Sponsored Links
If he is that pedantic he could cut the existing flue shorter, you dont need a new flue

But it could be said the flue has now been damaged and is now in the cavity. I really don't see the problem but I did correct a couple of mine when I first found out after a gas safe inspection.

Do you have to conform with regs that have been brought in retrospectively, if so lots of people are going to have trouble with building regs?

It's not all boilers other manufacturers it would not be a problem

But it could be said the flue has now been damaged and is now in the cavity. I really don't see the problem but I did correct a couple of mine when I first found out after a gas safe inspection.
Oh Dear what are we becoming , then just NCS the flue , OH NCS doesnt exist anymore so just note it somewhere, what is it at risk of without any sign of distress, paint it with Tartan paint and it will be fine :evil:

Oh Dear what are we becoming , then just NCS the flue , OH NCS doesnt exist anymore so just note it somewhere, what is it at risk of without any sign of distress, paint it with Tartan paint and it will be fine :evil:

I changed mine because they were mine. I think Isral can be a bit arsey as they will do anything to get out of their warranties.

I had to box in the flue on one job as it was too close to the eaves that over hung by 250mm or spend a small fortune on a Plume extension.

ideal never allowed it but as out of warrant now that doesnt come into it . All to do with the paint being UV stable
Your engineer is talkin shyte no new reg came in 3 years ago and providing existing the existing flue is in good condition no reason why it could not be cut shorter if you felt the need

What is the TLA?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back