Maybe one for Zampa (paint problem)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my ceiling painted as part of an insurance claim and the paint is peeling off, see pics. I had a loss adjuster out today who rubbed the ceiling which resulted in like a white chalky dust on his finger. He said it looked like a reaction with salt. There not disputing the claim and have asked do i want someone in to do work or do i want to do it myself. This guy advised if i was going to do the job myself to paint an acidy substance on it first like white vinegar then to seal it with PVA diluted at 5 to 1, then use a good quality paint. The paint peel goes virtually right the way across the the ceiling along the window wall and from the wall its about 5" into the ceiling. I have some questions

1. Whats the view on the advice this guy gave.

2. How much would a decorator charge to do this work.

3. Would i better getting someone in or doing it myself

Anyway here,s the pics

P1010143.jpg

P1010138.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi Hotwire
The reason that the paint is peeling off your textured ceiling is because when the decorator started the job he should have put a watered down version of the emulsion on for the first coat, this dries & sinks into the surface ready to key in the second coat
whereas if he used a thick consistency emulsion that has not been water'ed down this will sit onto the surface and not sink in sufficiently to bond properly

Now unfortuanatly because all of the ceiling was decorated this way you may have problems in the future with the paint flaking off

What I would reccomend here is to pull off the loose stuff from the edges of the peeling, try to go back as far as you can, if anything is quite solid leave it there for the time being because this may last there

You are now left with a patchy painted ceiling, use emulsion, but water it right down to a 50/50 consistency

Paint this onto the bare patches and allow to dry, now you should paint the whole ceiling again with the quality emulsion and a roller

Please avoid putting vynil silk (shiny) emulsion straight onto Textured coating, bare plaster or any porous surface, it is alway best to use a watered down matt emulsion, or a watered down pva (as for porous surfaces)

I hope that this helps Hotwire and let me know how you get on

For anybody interested in the correct interior preparation prior to re-decoration or texturing please click on the link below for more info

All the best
Dale

What he said!... :rolleyes:

Dale...could it have also been down to old Artex that has become unstable with age?..ive seen it turn powdery before?..

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, Here,s a bit more info. The ceiling has been in place since 1981 so has the artex, its been painted before, originally by the builders. I last painted it about 12 months ago with crown vinyl silk. It hasnt been painted as often as the other ceilings in the house but ive never had paint peel from it before. We had a problem with mould in one corner some years back, but after treatment we had no further problems. I could do with a bit of advice on the cost a decorator may charge for putting this problem right, as i said i would call the insurers tomorrow and let them know which way i wanted to proceed. Just sort of a rough figure is what im looking for. For instance would £100 cover it or would it require more or less. Whats bothering me is if other parts of the ceiling start to go the same way as D.Ovenstone mentioned in his reply. I was thinking maybe theyve used cheap paint and it had a reaction with the paint i used previously but if that was the case surely it wouldnt be confined to one part of ceiling. The other thing i noticed was that when it was very cold awhile back this seemed to make the problem worse, and between the window being opened of a morning till it was shut at night you could see the paint had peeled a bit more.

Hi Zampa, Hotwire

It could probably be that when the ceiling was painted for the last time, as it slowly dried in it started to pull off the emulsion that was done previously as this may not have keyed a 100% to the surface but because you have painted it last year Hotwire and it was secure then this is unusual, but why is the textured surface now become powdery, (is it a bathroom or kitchen) was it like this before the decorator painted it not long ago, texture coating will perish if it is laid onto a surface that is not sealed suficiently and it hasn't been properly sealed and painted afterwards or if there is a water leak old or new, but please let us know how you get on
I don't know how big your ceiling is but £100 should probably cover it if a painter comes in
Regards
Dale

Its a bedroom, ceiling size 13ft by 9ft. There wasnt a problem with the paint before the decorator. Thanks for the pricing info, gives me a point to work from.

It can be caused by MANY MANY reasons, 1/ A radiators heat can cause emulsion to blister (especialy ONE COAT EMULSION) from cielings 2/ Paste not being washed off ceiling properly when papering walls and causing peeling 3/ One Coat Emulsion when coated over soft sheen or silk emulsion can cause peeling 4/ Even silk over silk can cause peeiling.................. Also you state, "We had a problem with mould in one corner some years back, but after treatment we had no further problems" So, answer these questions for me, 1/ What type of materials are used on your cieling, is it gyproc or plaster ? 2/ Have you got any air vents in your home ? 3/ Is your bathroom next (opposite wall) to where the mould grew ? 4/ Have you got a wall unit next to exterior walls ? 5/ What type of home do you have i.e. is it a 4 in a block or semi-detached etc 6/ when was it built ? 6/ What do you by treatment was used ? 7/ Was where the mould was exactly where the paint is peeling ? 8/ Is there any water marks around or near peeling paint (WATER MARKS ARE LIKE SMALL NICOTINE COLOURED STAINS) All these questions need to be answered before any possible conclusion is made.

If this is just round the edges, it's probably a paste problem - not wiping it off when it was previously papered,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back