Artexed Ceiling - Disater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a disaster trying to paint an 'artexed' ceiling with matt emulsion paint specially made for kitchen ceilings and wall. Next morning the paint was cracked and peeling off. I have used roller to paint it. Now I need your advice like how to completely remove the cracked paint. Bought stream cleaner..

What have I done wrong? Should I use diluted paint?

House is 10 years old and we have never painted ceilings, suspect they are as the builders left them (sort of cream colour) or the white colour has gone dirty..

Please help....

Sponsored Links
sounds like the ceiling was greasy and that's why the paint has done this

Did you sugar soap / clean the ceiling before painting?

sounds like the ceiling was greasy and that's why the paint has done this

Did you sugar soap / clean the ceiling before painting?

No I did not sugar soap before it... It was fairly clean. Now the damage has been done, what is the best way to remove all the cracked paint?

Sponsored Links
not really sure what to suggest :confused:

you could try the steam cleaner but that may take the artex off as well

or you could try scrubbing with sugar soap, leave to dry then re paint

I have read somewhere somebody using streamer to peel off all the paint.. But want to make double sure before I invest or try...

I am still trying to remove the cracked and peeled paint. It seems the artex ceiling was not painted before as I can see the powdered base which means I cant wash it with sugar soap, because it will wash the Artex off...

That might be one of the reason why the new paint has cracked and is coming off.

One question comes into my mind do I need any kind of sealer or primer if I decide to paint it again or just thin the emulsion? I do not want to be in same situation again.

Many Thanks,

Never seen or heard of this, but it seems like an excellent time to bung someone £150 to scrape it of and reskim it! Having the remaining artex removed from my house was the best thing I ever had done!

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back