1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Painting bare Artex ceiling

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by Rob Burton, 3 Jul 2017.

1. Rob Burton

Rob Burton

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Last week I painted the artexed ceiling in our lounge with Dulux Brilliant White Mat. The paint is peeling in patches and flaking off. The ceiling hasn't been painted before. I've painted other artexed ceiling without bother.
    Is the paint the problem or is there likely to be another reason?

2. chappers

chappers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    that is a bit strange artex normally takes paint well, try watering down a bit of paint and seeing if it takes. You will have to scrape any loose paint off first

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Rob Burton

Rob Burton

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks - I'll give it a go, that's my evening taken care of.

5. Robbie uk

Robbie uk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If the paint was a Vinyl paint that could be the problem. New Artex is very thirsty and needs a mist coat first. A Contract matt is best as this has little Vinyl in it.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. Rob Burton

Rob Burton

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've peeled/picked off the flaking paint and used a thinned down mixture. It seems to have worked on the area that I hadn't painted and the areas that I had picked clean.
    Unfortunately the part I painted first is still flaking off in some new places. Looks like I'll be picking and patching for a while.

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local