Painting over sealed Artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had endless problems painting over new artex with the paint drying too fast and forming a thin film over the artex which then started to peel.

I've tried the common recommendation of applying watered down mist coats before thicker top coats but have still had problems.

After lots of internet browsing I gathered that I needed a dedicated sealer product to seal the artex totally, so that I could apply paint on top without problems. Artex Sealer would not be suitable (according to Artex tech support) because it is primarily for sealing plaster BEFORE applying Artex.

So, I settled on Zinsser Gardz. I have applied it over the whole ceiling and it has left a glossy acrylic sheen over the whole thing, so I think it is "sealed". I am about to paint it using Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt. I was just wondering, as a final precaution, if there is any need in me adding Emulsa-Bond to the Dulux.

I know E-B helps paint to stick etc but is it worth it when the artex has already been sealed with the acrylic Gardz?

I'd rather not spend more money on the E-B, but I can't take this ceiling peeling again, so if it makes a difference, I'll do it.

What d'ya reckon?

Sponsored Links
Don’t much like Artex now but in the days when I have put the stuff up, I never had any problem getting paint to stick to it at all. 2/3 initial coats of ordinary matt emulsion thinned 25-30% in quick succession, dry overnight & then chosen finish coat; much the same a new plaster. It sounds like you may have some sort of contamination going on there, you haven’t had PVA anywhere near it have you? Have you been using silicone spray?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back