Artexing over Kitchen Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we've painted our kitchen/utility room ceilings with Kitchen/Bathroom Paint. Now knocked down wall between two rooms so need to re-artex the ceiling. Will artexing over this paint cause us any problems?

Sponsored Links
Hi, we've painted our kitchen/utility room ceilings with Kitchen/Bathroom Paint. Now knocked down wall between two rooms so need to re-artex the ceiling. Will artexing over this paint cause us any problems?
Sorry but why on earth would you want to do that? I am slightly biased but Artex is crap. Are you thinking of Artexing over the whole lot again? probably doable with the right prep but not really practical & will look awfull; or just blending in between the two, easily doable but you will always see the join.

I would get the Artex skimmed over to give you a nice flat ceiling on the run through, it will look a whole lot better & you can then do the rest of the house room-by-room. ;)

Hi, I know I'm strange and definitely in the minority but I don't actually like flat ceilings (or painted walls either)!!

I know most people hate artex and I'm not a huge fan either (especially as in our house someone seems to have unleased their creative streak with a different pattern in every room! But I do prefer it to flat ceilings.

We will have to do the whole thing again - someone has previously tried to do a patch where there has been a hairline crack and made a real botch job of it, so whole ceiling really needs sorted out.

Been thinking about other options like decorative panelling (have done that in the bathroom - looks a bit like floorboards with long thin mirrored panel in between).

Sponsored Links
Easiest solution to guarantee the new Artex will look good (if that’s possible :LOL:) without any joins is to over board the whole ceiling(s) & get some nice new Artex laid on over the new boards in the pattern of your choice; it won't cost that much extra & you could even DIY the over boarding as long as you follow a few basic rules. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back