painting artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i want to paint my artex ceiling do i need to thin the paint as the last time i tried this the paint caused the artex to split im assuming something shrunk anyone have anyideas on this

Sponsored Links
Don't know if I'm too late, but when you say 'the artex split', do you mean in long straight lines? If so, then it is probably due to movement in the ceiling boards rather than the paint.

If there is movement in the ceiling, then either the boards are not secured well enough or the joints were not covered with tape/scrim before being artexed.

Loose boards can be screwed to the ceiling joists a bit tighter (avoiding pipes and cables) and the screw holes and cracks then filled to blend in before painting.

Untaped joints will always be susceptible to cracking and will need to be filled with a flexible filler, although this is rarely completely successful.

Try not to apply too much pressure when painting dodgy boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back