mcb keeps tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have this problem where the consumer unit mcb keeps tripping . I have reset it but it trips again even when no lights are on I have checked all of the light fittings on that circuit and there appears to be no wiring faults I have replaced the mcb with a new one but still no joy . The strange thing is all the lights where working when i left for work but when i come home it started to trip I am the only one in the house so no new bulbs or fittings have been added any ideas to cure Thanks

Sponsored Links
Your description of the events would indicate this is an MCB for the lighting circuit.

(just to be sure, it doesn't have a test button on it, this "MCB", does it?)

What does the description say on the consumer unit legend, for this MCB? Is it just lights? If it is just an MCB, just for the lights, either the circuit has a fault on it, or the MCB is faulty. Both would require an electrician to diagnose.

hello
Thanks for the reply no there are no test buttons Strange how a fault could happen without anyone using the equipment Could there be a fault on another circuit but it fuses the light circuit Sorry to be dumb Thanks

Does the MCB trip coincide with a bulb failing? this often happens as there is a momentary surge when a filament blows. i get it with the kitchen spots (nothing else).

BTW we had a case reported on here where seemingly random lighting MCB trips were caused, in wet weather, by rainwater getting into a cable for an outside lamp. Any chance of anything like that?

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
Does the MCB trip coincide with a bulb failing? this often happens as there is a momentary surge when a filament blows. i get it with the kitchen spots (nothing else).

BTW we had a case reported on here where seemingly random lighting MCB trips were caused, in wet weather, by rainwater getting into a cable for an outside lamp. Any chance of anything like that?

Many thanks for the info I will check it out Appreciate your advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back