MDF Primer + Varnish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was woundering weather i can put mdf primer on to mdf boards that i have, leaving it to dry and puting a coat or more of yatch varnish ontop.

Dont really know if you can put varnish ontop of primer?

Sponsored Links
im building a viv thats why.

Been told i should just use 2-3 coats of yatch varnish on them yet some have said to use primer then varnish ontop :eek:

I've always put varnish straight on - mind you that's normally acrylic varnish. Can't honestly see what a primer's going to do that a coat of varnish won't.

Sponsored Links
am trying to make the mdf boards waterproof, so if i use varnish straight in would that make it waterproof or do i need to use someother things?

varnish is a waterproof coating, but MDF is easily attacked by moisture.

Have you considered making it it out of WBP or marine Ply? these are both water resistant materials. marine ply has an attractive hardwood veneer and can look very good when varnished

Take extra care to protect the edges with your varnish.

Varnish is generally chosen to allow the beauty of the wood grain to show through, but MDF has no beauty and primer will obscure whtever the material is. If you want to use MDF, just paint it.

Moisture will penetrate through any screw holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back