MDF skirtin of Wood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok Lads, we have had mdf skirting in my bedroom, and although it has a nice smooth finish my hubby says that it is not as good as wood.
He says it isnt as good to fill as wood.
Do you chippys out there prefer wood. As i have all my hallway to do and the door archs, would proper wood skirting be better. I still want to use no nails for fixings, but hubby says at least you can pin it as well if you have to. Bearing in mind my walls and floor arent the straightest!
I also have had my hallway ceramic tiled, and hubby says wood is best.
Its just that i like the smoothness of the mdf but not sure.
What do you experts prefer please!
Thanks
Lol.

Sponsored Links
MDF If you going to paint it, no knots or warping. Once its painted only YOU know its MDF.

Apart from the comments above, you can still fill and pin mdf, and I think that it's slightly more flexible than wood so easier to fit to your wall. And it doesn't split so easily when you pin it.

Sponsored Links
to be honest , in the last three years of site work ( house building and renovations ) i cannot remember using timber for the arcs and skirts :eek: .. the style that is widely used now in modern apartments is square cut mdf ( no moulding to it) , just flat board, plain and unfussy ..

WoW! Thanks for your positive replies guys. Just got home and hubby has given the skirting a fill and undercoat, and yes it looks very very good.

MDF it is then.....

Cheers and Thanks

Lol. ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back