MDF upstands...sealing and fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm close to finishing fitting my kitchen and about to fit the upstands
They are Egger laminate upstands and i notice that the edge that will sit directly on to the worktop has no laminate, it is bare exposed MDF

Now to me, this seems a little daft as that is the one area where water could penetrate so I just wanted to see if the practice is to seal that edge and if so, what with ?

I have some varnish that I used for the sink cutout (3 coats to seal the chipboard worktop) and then did a thin sealant cover also.

Would varnish be a sensible product to use ?

Finally, I'm wondering what adhesive to stick the laminate and skirting board to the wall. It needs to be workable for 10 mins while I position and then clamp in place

Any recommendations please ?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
When I did our kitchen I used 'Bush Board Complete' adhesive/sealer.

Is the MDF water resistant?
if Yes then a continuous 3mms 'bead' of 'BB Complete' on face side of the bottom.
If No then the whole of the bottom edge needs to be fully covered with a thin spreading of the 'BB Complete'.
In either circumstance a continuous 3mm bead along top edge of back face. If you bond the upstand to the wall then you need 2 or 3 5mm heads on the back face with one bead at the top.

The sealer must extrude along all edges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back