MDPE Pipes - stretched

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder has dug out my existing MDPE mains supply with a minidigger so it can be rerouted to a new kitchen extension. However he has pulled the pipe up about 40-50cm from where it was buried in the middle of the garden, twisting and stretching the pipe. It has not burst but he plans to take out the damaged section and connect onto the remaining buried section.

I am concerned the pipe could still have sufferd from this trauma and I'd like to hear what any professionals think about this before he reconnects, buries and forgets. His comment was that MDPE pipes can hanlde this degree of abuse. However, having carefully laid the pipe myself about 5 years ago I am not so sure, and I feel my good work (checked by Severn Trent) is being compromised. What about the integrity of the pipe as a barrier if it has suffered some form of pulling or distortion futher along?

Comments I can share with will be welcome . . .

Sponsored Links
MDPE is quite resilient, so much so that you can shut off the flow through it by using a squeeze-off tool to squash it shut – even up to 315mm.

I’d be more worried about the joints at each end than the run of pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back