MDPE Upgrade - Looking for some advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have recently laid a new supply pipe in a trench (dug by hand I might add!) and I have now asked SES Water to proceed with the connection and new meter. It is being done under their lead-replacement scheme. We currently have a combi boiler and decided to do the upgrade as showers are often affected when people flush toilets / run kitchen tap etc. We may also go unvented in due course.

I am hoping someone might be able to confirm a couple of bits for me.

I know a 25mm MDPE pipe should improve the flow over our 60 year old 1/2" lead pipe but has anyone actually measured the before and after flow rates on an MDPE upgrade? What sort of improvement should I expect? We get around 15 L/m currently.

Does anyone know if the pressure would reduce over a 20m stretch of lead pipe? I have read that pressure does not change but I have also read that pressure will be reduced over a distance to some extent. We get around 3.5 bar so it is reasonable but not amazing.

The other thing I am keen to know is what the water board inspectors are typically like? We have tried to do everything within their specs but I really do not want a jobsworth turning up and finding something silly as they charge over £100 to check it again!

Sponsored Links
Can't give you anything technical but mine was transformed compared to the old lead shared with nextdoor - if they turned a tap on or flushed the toilet our electric shower would shut down. We now have an unvented - 2 showers, taps, washing machine - all together if we need too.

I've done 4, inspectors fine as long as you do it to the spec - trench deep enough (they measure it) and they like to see some sand in there or on the side ready to blind it, proper stop end (not that little cap that comes on the end of the roll of pipe), ducting and insulation if going under suspended floor (and both ends capped), stop tap and drain valve inside and no lead to first potable tap, old lead pipe exposed on boundary ready to cap off if required (and have an appropriate fitting on hand).

I've always found them reasonable - in one case my drive was dug out ready for hardcore and resurfacing, my trench was only 600mm deep but he was happy that the finished level would take it to 750mm.

Andy Mac on YT recently laid a new incoming water main as part of his house renovation, I wonder if it would be any use to you if you haven't already watched it?

Sponsored Links
My flat had a 25mm mdpe main feeding into a 15mm stopcock. This then went on in 15mm copper to feed a megaflo.
15ltr/min 1.5 bar.

I replaced Stopcock 25x 22mm and then ran. 22mm poly to megaflo.

30ltr/min 1.5 bar

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back