Measuring up for double glazing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time for me fitting windows.
What allowance do you give when measuring width and height.

I have a sash window, will take out the parting beads and leave the frame in, I appreciate opening not always square, but do I have to leave a big enough space to get the plastic frames level. Any tips appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It's a bit unusual to fit D/G to a sash window sub-frame. The timber is often starting to decay and will always need maintenance in the future.
The company I deal with expects exact opening measurements and makes the windows 10mm smaller in both directions unless told otherwise. As the measurer you would have to take account of an opening that was off-square.
Fitting into an existing subframe is much neater if you have units made with 'odd leg' section UPVC - basically a flange to sit on top of the timber and hide any gaps from the outside. Talk to your supplier about it.

As it's your first time make a square template for measurement so you know the window will fit, I too go for overall 10mm

Thanks to you both.
10mm overall it is then, both width and height :)

I have seen on some suppliers web-sites, that the frames will expand/contract in our weather conditions, I suppose this is another good reason to make the gap 10mm.

Sponsored Links
10mm will covered it but doesn't expand to 10mm, normally 3-4mm, some of them don't expand at all are mostly white frame

Might want to check the diagonals as well... see how far out (if it is) of square it may be..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back