Meat...

Would you eat "exotic" meat regularly?

• We do anyway

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Yes I'd give kangaroo, zebra, impalla, crocodile, llama (british sourced btw) a go...

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • No way

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We were getting a bit peeved at the price of meat... then Lidl had some Moose (Elk) steaks in (lush, btw!) and it got me thinking... how much is it REALLY to eat exotic meat.

Turns out Kangaroo steak is cheaper (and apparently healthier) than British beef steak.. as is a host of other traditional steak alternatives.

Sponsored Links
Tried the springbok,kangaroo and ostrich from lidl,all very nice.Yet to try crocodile which is supposed to be very tasty.

Tried kangaroo and crocodile amongst others and yes pleasent enough. As long as it is produced to decent standards then I can't see any problems other than people's attitudes. For example when Princess Anne made comments about eating horses some were horrified.
'Course the real question should be are we prepared to eat insects?

I'm a veggie myself but please keep eating the kangaroo meat, all the best leathers for motorcyclists is derived from kangaroo skin, its not only thin, lightweight and abrasion resistant but also waterproof..

Sponsored Links
On our honeymoon in Nairobi, my first wife and I visited The Carnivore restaurant. They come round with all sorts of different cuts of meat and chop a bit off for you. I remember having zebra, crocodile, dik dik (yes, really), and lots of others that my feeble mind cannot recall just now. The only one I didn't like was crocodile, as it was just a load of gristle, at least mine was.

Now, of course, I rarely eat meat (even rare meat) as I've gone all green and become a muslim (oh oh, what have I done now?). But seriously, I've gone off all meat unless it is completely free from fat, gristle and bone.

On our honeymoon in Nairobi, my first wife and I visited The Carnivore restaurant. They come round with all sorts of different cuts of meat and chop a bit off for you. I remember having zebra, crocodile, dik dik (yes, really), and lots of others that my feeble mind cannot recall just now. The only one I didn't like was crocodile, as it was just a load of gristle, at least mine was.

Now, of course, I rarely eat meat (even rare meat) as I've gone all green and become a muslim (oh oh, what have I done now?). But seriously, I've gone off all meat unless it is completely free from fat, gristle and bone.

Snappy food JBR??

Only thing that slightly puts me off crocodile, is that it is a carnivore, if you notice all the usual meats us meat eaters eat, they come almost exclusively from herbivores.

That said, I heard croc is supposed to taste a bit like chicken (but then doesn't everyone say that about something they've never tasted before)

Also veggie, but used to try any and all available meat. Variety is the spice of life!

Kangaroo is very tasty.

I had Alligator when I went to Florida. I wanted to say I had eaten it, before It ate me! Tasted of fish because it was Farmed and that's what they fed them on. Gatorland

Only thing that slightly puts me off crocodile, is that it is a carnivore, if you notice all the usual meats us meat eaters eat, they come almost exclusively from herbivores.
Pigs are omnivores though I suspect farmed pigs are almost entirely fed on a herbivorous diet.

I wonder if this is the real reason eating pigs was banned by various major religions.

Pigs are omnivores though I suspect farmed pigs are almost entirely fed on a herbivorous diet.

I wonder if this is the real reason eating pigs was banned by various major religions.

Most likely that pork tapeworm is transmissible to humans. Most religiously banned foods are banned due to, in days of old, hygiene reasons, same goes for shellfish in Jewish culture.

If a plane crashed in the Andes again, amongst the survivors, vegetarians would probably be first in the queue for human buttock.

And probably like it.

Morality and ethics would be a forgotten belief.

Remind me not to be involved in a plane crash over the Andies..

If a plane crashed in the Andes again, amongst the survivors, vegetarians would probably be first in the queue for human buttock.

And probably like it.

Morality and ethics would be a forgotten belief.
I've banged on about it before but if you are (truly) starving, you will eat ANYTHING edible.

One (lying) Russian starvation survivor once said that dogs were eating the corpses of those that had starved to death. He was soon lambasted by the real survivors who clearly stated that all the dogs had been eaten.

As had all the rats, birds, weeds, grubs etc. There was nothing left to eat but dead bodies. Some stories emerged that living orphans became fair game.

Those on here that say they would not eat their pet dog are a joke, but we already know where a pet dog would stand in the pecking order. :LOL:

I like a bit of fresh venison. Very lean meat.

Sponsored Links
Back