Mechanical Engineer Repairing Boilers

E

eddiescully

Hi i was just wondering would it be quite possible for a Mechanical Engineer to start working in the service and repair area of oil and gas boilers if he already had a fair knowledge of heating systems. Really im just wondering as regards the repair of oil and gas boilers. Thanks

Sponsored Links
If "he" has gas safe registration then "he" can do gas work.

For oil work the registration body is OFTEC but i believe you only need to be registered for fitting new appliances/tanks.

If "he" has gas safe registration then "he" can do gas work.

For oil work the registration body is OFTEC but i believe you only need to be registered for fitting new appliances/tanks.

The OP is in the R.of Ireland, Gas Safe and Corgi are UK.

There are probably similar rules and trade qualifications in Ireland, but you'd have to find an RoI forum.

No my question was regards would a mechanical engineer have the skills and knowledge to be able to fault find on gas and oil boilers?

Sponsored Links
Depends what line of mechanical engineering he/she did.

Most have a brain and know how to use it, which would be a big plus.

No my question was regards would a mechanical engineer have the skills and knowledge to be able to fault find on gas and oil boilers?

Service and repair is mostly experience , so if the ME has no experiance in this field then no would be the answer.

'Mechanical Engineer'is a very ambiguous term in this context; it depends how relevant his experience is to boilers. The simple answer is that it is safety related and he shouldn't be messing with others' welfare without the proper qualifications. It would be illegal in the UK, probably in Ireland as well.

He'd find some faults but would be slower than if he'd had the relevant experience; I doubt that he'd make a living at it. The lack of flue gas analyser would be a problem and he'd undoubtedly make a few faults while going up the usual blind alleys, trying to fix components he thought were broken, but weren't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back