Service engineers

R

ringy1

Just a quick question as regards oil and gas boiler engineers. Would someone who service, commissioning and repairing oil and gas industrial and commercial boilers be able to start doing the very same on domestic boilers? or would futher training be required?

Sponsored Links
Thats a curious question!
if as you imply you currently service industrial oil & gas, then you should already know the answer!

You would need to complete your Domestic ACS core (CCN1) and ACS assessments for any appliances you wish to work with

as for oil, you would need an OFT 105E if you wish to install and Self certify oil boiler installs, the 600A cert covers installation and self certification of oil tanks currenty there is no requirement for a Service/Breakdown engineer to be OFTEC registered ;)

Im a curious kinda guy :LOL:
But would a person be able to take the same stepwise approach to fault finding and repairing an industrial boiler and then tackling a domestic boiler?

I would say that most would not do it very well without experience.

Sounds as if you want a cheap domestic job done by someone you met in the pub or something!

Sponsored Links
No im a plumber but i know a lad who does the service and repair on industrial boilers and HVAC and hot water heaters and he is now getting into the domestic boiler service and repair and i was just worndering how the hell is he starting at that now, just because he is at the industrial boilers would that give him the knowledge to just start up at the domestic stuff.

The gas safety certs to work on domestic boilers are dead easy really, just a little bit of reading required especially with a good grounding in commercial systems which are far more technical.
Practical experience is just a bit of practice same as everyone out there already doing it.

I can't understand why anyone who only works on Industrial would WANT to change to Domestic, there is far more money to be made on Industrial and a lot less hassle too!! have you seen what a good Industrial Gas Engineer can earn? :eek:

I can't understand why anyone who only works on Industrial would WANT to change to Domestic, there is far more money to be made on Industrial and a lot less hassle too!! have you seen what a good Industrial Gas Engineer can earn? :eek:

What you say Boilerman2 is very true, but there's a shortage of good domestic engineers, oh there's plenty that think they're boiler engineers, but most of them are complete morons..............Just look at the threads on here & in the combustion chamber pot??!!!!! Most of these guys are unemployable, that's why they're 'one-man-band partschangers'!!

Kirk & the likes, that run these mickey mouse cowboy courses are churning them out, these clueless ex-milkmen chancers are a danger to the British Public!!!

The secret society will be on your back Delta as your not allowed to tell the truth on here . ;)

I had five years gas reg for industrial and it was a waste of time!

All the same, totally ignored installations where the last boiler had just failed. Also problems getting paid.

I agree that at the top end it will be profitable but all I saw was the bottom of the market.

A local shopping centre wanted an inspection and written assessment. I quoted a nominal £100 as it would have been a day's work. They wanted it free! A year later the centre was closed for redevelopment. Four years later it is still closed as 84 flats and 30,000 sqft retail is apparently not viable yet.

Tony

Dicky, I would say its the other way round. Most decemt engineers work for themselves as they can earn more money doing the job without giving a share if it to a company.

People working for companies tend to be too dumb to run a business in my personal experience.

Those that aren't dumb, have just had enough of the paperwork.

Of course there are exceptions.

Dicky, I would say its the other way round. Most decemt engineers work for themselves as they can earn more money doing the job without giving a share if it to a company.

People working for companies tend to be too dumb to run a business in my personal experience.

Those that aren't dumb, have just had enough of the paperwork.

Of course there are exceptions.

Sorry Dan but I disagree, certainly in the Glasgow & west Scotland area, 9 times out of 10, you'd get some self-employed parts changer turning up at your door. Companies here don't employ course cowboys, I & other SNIPEF members deplore these six weeks chancers!!!

aaaaahhhheeeemmmmm! we ain't all like that thanks delta,
i ain't a parts changer and am happy that i know what i am doing ohh and i am employed, but of course there is an exception to all rules ;)
edit,
but of course i aint a course cowboy or career change chancer maybe thats why!!

Delta, regret I disagree with what you say above. I am a CCC, did that 20 years ago. I am a one man band who strives to maintain a standard often not important to a team player

As a general rule the householder will get a part changer knocking on their door as opposed to someone who will take a progressive route to locate and fix. This goes for manufacturer's engineers, BG/ SG, and companies that think they are bee's knees, who will often send someone that can only change parts. When cow pat hits the fan, above big players will send some one who is more than able to seek and destroy a fault

I replaced my son's boiler. This boiler had a fault. Twice the in warranty guys turned up to replace the pcb and gas valve but the fault remained. Third guy did effect a cure without replacing parts. This mantra if followed faithfully would make a good service person a better one.

Those working in isolation as one man bands have to keep it real as they are not able 'compete' with fellow workers and do sometimes fall into the ego trap thinking they can do no wrong.

I use to say to my kids 'there is room for improvement' when the school reports were brought home. They have told me on several occasions now, they should have taken me seriously then, instead of echoing my words as they handed me the school report with a grin.

Yes Danny, I know you achieve high standards & you are held in high regard in the trade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back