Boiler Repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
re Boiler repairs.

As a newby on this great site I should stay shtum, but feel the above notice on boiler repairs needs modifying. As I don't want a CORGI registered plumber touching my oil boiler thank you.

So its CORGI for gas.
An OFTEC trained and assessed technician holding a 101 certificate for oil boiler servicing & commissioning and a 105E certificate for oil fired boiler installation.
A HETAS registered tech for solid fuel and wood burning.
All are deemed competent to self certify their work under the latest Building Regulations. But if doing their own electrical work, they now need Part P certification in order to issue a minor electrical works safety certificate.

I have to do an OFTEC 103 (part P electrical safety) after a lifetime in the industry (if OFTEC ever get the scheme of the ground).
No financial help from the big guy at ODPM with the ever growing cost and number of training, assessment and certification schemes.
Don't ask what they will dream up next, they are working on it.

regards Abe

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Able said:
re Boiler repairs.

As a newby on this great site I should stay shtum, but feel the above notice on boiler repairs needs modifying. As I don't want a CORGI registered plumber touching my oil boiler thank you.

So its CORGI for gas.
An OFTEC trained and assessed technician holding a 101 certificate for oil boiler servicing & commissioning and a 105E certificate for oil fired boiler installation.
A HETAS registered tech for solid fuel and wood burning.
All are deemed competent to self certify their work under the latest Building Regulations. But if doing their own electrical work, they now need Part P certification in order to issue a minor electrical works safety certificate.

I've have to do OFTEC 103 (part P electrical safety) after a lifetime in the industry (if OFTEC ever get the scheme of the ground).
No financial help from the big guy at ODPM with the ever growing cost and number of training, assessment and certification schemes.
Don't ask what they will dream up next, they are working on it.

regards Abe

Nice post newbee.

Perhaps you could explain why the ODPM and Building control are quite happy for Corgy registered engineers to comply with the law of the land and self certify, and yet Corgy will not allow it, making GWN a condition of registration as a way of extracting money from RGIs.

Perhaps you could also answer my question?

I think Corgy are acting illegally by making GWN a condition of registration as there is no other alternative. This is a restraint of trade as Corgy are saying You will GWN or we strike you off.

I look forward to your reply as I'm sure the others will

No but CORGI should answer the question. I was happily self certifying using the Benchmark scheme for gas and OFTEC CD10 & 11 forms for oil fired installations with the customer applying (or not) for planning consent before all this empire building nonsence came about.

The APHC also think CORGI are acting illegally.

OFTEC are getting their work notification scheme up and running.
I dont know if HETAS (solid fuel) have one.
Certainly FENSA the double glazing body were the first and most successfull at pulling off this serious money making scheme (scam?).

It was not my intention to cause any friction only to point out that a CORGI RGI (which includes me) is not automatically deemed competent on oil boilers. The instances given are the official line as I understand it and its going to get worse with small businesses being driven underground, as without financial help in terms of training and assessment grants, the situation is unsustainable.

The various bodies CORGI etc would point out that they are doing us a favour by keepin our notification fees to a minimum (its supposidly more expensive to notify direct through Local Area Building Control). They go on to say that using CORGI etc makes the Gas RGI & OFTEC oil man more competitive in the market place as the customer would have to fork out in the region of £300 if going direct through LABC with an unregistered contractor.

regards Abe.

Able, what was the point of this thread given this is a DIY aid forum?

The point -

1) The diynot notice that boiler repairs are best caried out by a CORGI registered plumber.
My point is - not if its an oil fired boiler (the registration and safety body body for oil heating is OFTEC, as far as the government is concerned that is ).

I fix enough oil disasters by the unqualified - fact. Get a serious oil leak and the Environment Agency fines run into ten of thousands of pounds and household insurance may not pay up.

2) I'm a life long DIYer, but qualified in the things that I make living at.

3) The general public have no idea what is being and has been dumped on the professional by this governent and its appointed agencies.
Only that they (the public) are being charged more and more when they call in a professional.
But there again how else do we (the professional) pay for all the imposed regulation and time off doing assessments just to stay legal.

4) For not to bright kev 'Able' not my real name.

Able said:
The point -

1) The diynot notice that boiler repairs are best caried out by a CORGI registered plumber.
My point is - not if its an oil fired boiler (the registration and safety body body for oil heating is OFTEC, as far as the government is concerned that is ).
OK, but better to send an email to [email protected] I would think.

I fix enough oil disasters by the unqualified - fact. Get a serious oil leak and the Environment Agency fines run into ten of thousands of pounds and household insurance may not pay up.

C'est la vie :rolleyes: it's tough at the bottom.

2) I'm a life long DIYer, but qualified in the things that I make living at.

Me too, just missing the qualified bit.

3) The general public have no idea what is being and has been dumped on the professional by this governent and its appointed agencies.
Only that they (the public) are being charged more and more when they call in a professional.
But there again how else do we (the professional) pay for all the imposed regulation and time off doing assessments just to stay legal.

So, what do you do if it get's too hot in the kitchen?

4) For not to bright kev 'Able' not my real name.

Thank you for sharing that, we might have wondered.

I wonder why, "Able", you feel it is necessary to post here under a pseudonym?

I would also suggest any reference to using a CORGI engineer to repair boilers is based on the fact that the vast majority of boilers are gas rather than oil, coal, wood or electric. The statement has to be read in its context.

Tony Glazier

You must be the only non-pseudonym on this web site then Tony.

I'm miffed you didn't phone your Boulter service agent friend in Berkshire re the Combi 55 query.

Take care.

Able Pseudonym

Oops, sorry Dick! Didn't know it was you!

I was waiting for an owner that I could quote who could potentially be visited to demonstrate ! I do expect National Sales managers to know how their boilers work! Trouble is no-one ever replied to confirm that their boiler indeed operates as I would expect from theory.

Dont take too much notice of some of the others here, they are just as abusive to me too. In fact I have really stopped visiting this site as I am not made to feel welcome here.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back