Got a quote for a new oil boiler. Does it seem reasonable?

And a supply of hot water using the immersion if and when the boiler has a fault.
Indeed. But would rather have the space in the bathroom back as it needs a rearrange to make it practical.

Sponsored Links
Okay. Thanks for the advice. I'll stick with oil.
Any opinions on the oil combi idea.
As I mentioned. Removing the cylinder would be ideal to free up the space in the bathroom.
Do you think talking to the place that quoted and asking what can be done to get the price down is a good idea.
E.g. I could remove the old tank and associated pipework myself. Leaving them a blank canvas to put everything in.
As I said previously, you could knock about £900 off the price by having a Navien LCB700 instead of a Worcester, and you'd end up with a much better boiler to boot.

Draining the old system and removing the cylinder won't save you much, only takes an hour max. And if you run off with the cylinder rather than letting them have it for scrap you probably won't save anything at all.

As I said previously, you could knock about £900 off the price by having a Navien LCB700 instead of a Worcester, and you'd end up with a much better boiler to boot.

Draining the old system and removing the cylinder won't save you much, only takes an hour max. And if you run off with the cylinder rather than letting them have it for scrap you probably won't save anything at all.
I'll reply to the company and see if they'll do it. I checked the navien website and they are an approved installer.

Sponsored Links
Had another guy to quote today.
His ballpark was around 10k but not got the official quote yet.
He was advocating keeping a cylinder. But in the loft to free up the bathroom space.
I believe he will include the new oil tank, new base for it too, boiler and cylinder relocation. Seems like a better quote to me. But we'll see if he includes the magnetic filter, powerflush and other bits like nest co trolls etc.

What are your HW demands like at the moment and how good is your cold mains supply? How large is the house and how many bathrooms? If you plan to use several hot taps at a time or use the shower whilst other hot tap are being used, then a combi may not be a good idea, even with the Heatslave's 90L storage (not sure of the navien's storage capacity)

What are your HW demands like at the moment and how good is your cold mains supply? How large is the house and how many bathrooms? If you plan to use several hot taps at a time or use the shower whilst other hot tap are being used, then a combi may not be a good idea, even with the Heatslave's 90L storage (not sure of the navien's storage capacity)

4 bed. 1350sqft I think
2 bathrooms (aka 1 bath and 1 shower) both run off the tank/boiler.
might run the kitchen sink at the same time as the shower. might also fit a shower upstairs. so 2 x showers at the same time.

From what you've said, I guess the combis store an amount of hot water. I assume they keep that hot just in case you want it. That's going to be using oil and therefore not mega efficient. Is this a downside of the combi?

From what you've said, I guess the combis store an amount of hot water.
Certain combi's do, the Heat slave has a 90L tank that is kept hot and that allows the boiler to deliver their rated HW output (22L/Min@ 1.6bar dynamic) but once that store is used up it then drops to a pure combi and that will struggle to supply more than one HW outlet at a time. So if the HW is used a lot then it may struggle.

HW storage can be installed into the loft, if there is adequate headroom and the cold mains is suitable. Unvented could be an option but the water main needs surveyed properly. I think there are a few considerations you need to make before deciding on what would be the best solution for you, especially at those prices.

Has any of them looked at your cold mains and have they asked you what it is you actually may want now and in the future? Frustrates me when installers just throw out solutions to clients without actually looking at what's wanted/needed and then what's achievable.

The guy yesterday looked and measured in the loft. There is room there for the cylinder. Pressure is good too, so that's not an issue.

Neither of them actually asked what usage we'd have. But did see the bathrooms. So perhaps they made a mental note of their existence.

Yesterday did chat about the future a little. e.g. when the govt raises tax on fossil fuels so high that it'll only make sense to use ASHP... then we'll be glad we kept the hot water storage because I guess heat pumps need a storage tank?
He was particularly against combis in any situation.

Pressure is good too, so that's not an issue
I appreciate that the mains pressure may 'feel' good but that isn't a basis on deciding what HW system to implement. Specific figures of dynamic pressure and flow must be known to give any proper advice. A guesstimate on the back of a good look around can't supply the information that the correct advanced HW system can be implemented on I'm afraid but the installers should know this.

If they don't or won't do a proper survey then I'd be looking for another installer that is prepared to the proper prep work and design accordingly.

I appreciate that the mains pressure may 'feel' good but that isn't a basis on deciding what HW system to implement. Specific figures of dynamic pressure and flow must be known to give any proper advice. A guesstimate on the back of a good look around can't supply the information that the correct advanced HW system can be implemented on I'm afraid but the installers should know this.

If they don't or won't do a proper survey then I'd be looking for another installer that is prepared to the proper prep work and design accordingly.
Thanks. I'm looking for someone else to quote now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back