New oil fired boiler quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Feedback on this quote please

We currently have a oil fired 35 year old condensing boiler in a 4 bed (1 shower , 1 bath) house, the oil boiler is in the utility room, the airing cupboard upstairs has a 35 year old tank in, and header tanks in loft , so vented?

We have been quoted for a combi which will be sited in the garage on an external wall

Remove existing boiler , tank , flue and associated pipework
Make good to ceilings and replace tiles on roof
supply and fit the following
WB Combination heatslave boiler 18/25
vertical flue
clock
frost stat
wireless room thermostat
filter
condensate valve
oil filter
fire sensing valve
fuel line
new rad TRV`s (8 radiators applicable)
supply and fit electrical supply in garage all associated pipework and insualtion
power flush system
commission system

£4300 plus vat

The firm are well recognised in the area and the boss lives a few doors away from me

Boiler has 5 year warranty which i was a little disappointed about

any thoughts?

Thank You

Sponsored Links
I am no expert but given the boiler is £2400 it doesn't seem too bad for what you are having done.

Thanks Eddie , the guy told me the boiler was just over 2k

Thanks Eddie , the guy told me the boiler was just over 2k

Yep, my price included VAT and was a web price. His trade discount may mean it's a bit cheaper or he is quoting without VAT.

Couple of things I would say. He lives in your street so you know where to find him if things go wrong, that on its own is probably worth a couple of hundred pounds.

The amount of work he is doing sounds like about 4 to 6 man days. Say all the other parts add up to about £300 then he is earning £2000 for 5 man days work. About £400 a day or about £50 an hour, I think that sounds reasonable to me if not a little on the cheap side. Don't forget he needs to run a van pay for insurance get rid of the rubbish etc. Ok 2 of the days may be a labourer but you get what I am saying.

The only other option is to get another quote.

Sponsored Links
I will ask him but is the oil filter on the quote aka the system filter ? (like the magna clean item i had on my pipework at my last place ?)

cheers

I will ask him but is the oil filter on the quote aka the system filter ? (like the magna clean item i had on my pipework at my last place ?)

cheers
No a manga clean cleans the water as it travels around the system. The oil filter will be to filter and crud out of the oil that can get into it. Unlike gas oil isn't a clean product. It's a bit like your car has a fuel filter!

Quick estimate:

Boiler 1900.00
Vertical flue kit 180.00
2 flue extensions 170.00
Pair 45 deg flue bends 70.00
system water filter 80.00
condense pump 60.00
oil filter 20.00
fire valve 30.00
8 x TRV 120.00
clock, frost stat and wireless room stat 200.00
power flush chemicals 20.00
inhibitor 10.00
Electrician 150.00

Thats 3010 + VAT

This leaves 1790.00 to cover

Pipe and fittings
Flux solder and other consumables
Making good roof
Business expenses (incl. Van costs, public liability, tax, accountancy etc etc etc)
Labour

And finally the reason any business exists - PROFIT

I don't know how we do it for the money.

cheers
No a manga clean cleans the water as it travels around the system. The oil filter will be to filter and crud out of the oil that can get into it. Unlike gas oil isn't a clean product. It's a bit like your car has a fuel filter!

should i be asking why no magna clean included?

cheers

should i be asking why no magna clean included?

Looks like it's included to me!

look at your own post it is already included he just called it a filter, you are daft if you dont take that quote, and just to add on a personal note I wouldnt go mentioning the answers that you got on here, it is of course your right to question any estimates you get but if one of my customers were to mention they had been online comparing my quote I wouldnt be working for them , same as the clowns that expect you to turn up diagnose the fault on their boiler and give an estimate then they look the part up on ebay and start the I can get the part for £££

People do really seem to get backs up when a poster asks for a quote to be analysed

I have noticed the filter is included now

As for the rest of your comments , i appreciate a good tradesmen and they deserve a good days pay for a good days work but runnign a quote by pros on here seems a savvy thing tok do , its a shame it seemed to annoy some of you

For what its worth , i like the guy a lot on first couple of impressions and my gut instinct is that its a good qoute ( i am in wales though where day rates might be lower than elsewhere) and intend to go ahead with it

I have had other quotes , this sits in the middle of them

Thanks for all input

People do really seem to get backs up when a poster asks for a quote to be analysed

I have noticed the filter is included now

As for the rest of your comments , i appreciate a good tradesmen and they deserve a good days pay for a good days work but runnign a quote by pros on here seems a savvy thing tok do , its a shame it seemed to annoy some of you

For what its worth , i like the guy a lot on first couple of impressions and my gut instinct is that its a good qoute ( i am in wales though where day rates might be lower than elsewhere) and intend to go ahead with it

I have had other quotes , this sits in the middle of them

Thanks for all input
The issue is that it's impossible to give sensible advise on a price when we can't see the job

Why on earth would you fit an oil combi in a 4 Bedroom house??
There's every chance your existing hot water system & associated controls are in good condition, why go to the expense when you could simply change your boiler only? With having a hot water cylinder you could/should have a back-up immersion heater, so at least you'll always have hot water.

Is he removing a section of roof to remove the 'cistern' in the attic? Why? What's wrong with having an empty, unused 'cistern' in your attic? That's just a waste of money too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back