Mechanical timer for DP 20A

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tried to install greenbrook mechanical timer for my cylinder water boiler. I found it currently fitted with double poles 20A. Do you think it will work and here comes the spec as attached

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230211-173810.png
    Screenshot_20230211-173810.png
    256.6 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
I tried to install greenbrook mechanical timer for my cylinder water boiler. I found it currently fitted with double poles 20A. Do you think it will work and here comes the spec as attached
When you say water boiler, do you mean a hot water cylinder?

Does it have a 16amp immersion heater?

Immersion heaters are usually 3kW.

You can use that timer

Fit it downstream of the DP switch.

Sponsored Links
You mean I need to keep my DP switch and fit this as extension, instead of replacing it?

It would mean you don't have DP isolation, which is strongly preferred during repair or replacement.

When the immersion heater goes faulty, you may be unable to stop it constantly tripping the RCD.

Why do you want to?

My direct copper cylinder is connected with 'MK LOGIC PLUS 20A 1-GANG DP CONTROL SWITCH WHITE WITH NEON'. And tried to replace that with 'Greenbrook t100a-scr mechanical timer'. My main intention is to have a timer to control when to switch on and off. Ideally, replace the switch, so I can use that location to install 'Greenbrook t100a-scr mechanical timer'. I just attached the current connection. And I draw my plan. Do you think this will work? And will it cause any issues?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230211-173810-1.jpg
    Screenshot_20230211-173810-1.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20230210_151325957.jpg
    IMG_20230210_151325957.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20230211_205021009.jpg
    IMG_20230211_205021009.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 42
It would mean you don't have DP isolation, which is stronger preferred during repair or replacement.

When the immersion heater goes faulty, you may be unable to stop it constantly tripping the RCD.

Why do you want to?

Sorry, I confuse here. Do you mean the current 'MK LOGIC PLUS 20A 1-GANG DP CONTROL SWITCH WHITE WITH NEON' provide DP isolation? If I replace that with 'Greenbrook timer', I will lose DP isolation. Do you think it still work? Will it cause any electrical issues? I thought it goes faulty, I just need to remove the RCD for repair?

Do you mean the current 'MK LOGIC PLUS 20A 1-GANG DP CONTROL SWITCH WHITE WITH NEON' provide DP isolation?

Yes

If I replace that with 'Greenbrook timer', I will lose DP isolation.

Yes

Will it cause any electrical issues? I thought it goes faulty, I just need to remove the RCD for repair?

It will be the immersion heater that in time, will go faulty. And eventually the timer will wear out. It is very preferable to have DP isolation before starting repair.

All you have to do is drill two holes in the wall and screw on an extra plastic backbox.

60pence

Nice photos. But you still have not provided the ACTUAL specification for the immersion itself. It may be written on the cap that covers the immersion, or on the end of the element itself.

Nice photos. But you still have not provided the ACTUAL specification for the immersion itself. It may be written on the cap that covers the immersion, or on the end of the element itself.
Here comes the actual specs of the immersion as attached
3kW 240V, 2.76kW 230V
Type-BS311C

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20230211_212626991.jpg
    IMG_20230211_212626991.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 48

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back