Megaflo or not? - advice on install

What do you want a water softener for, do you suffer from hard water?

I personally prefer the OSO Super Coil to Megaflo, much easier to install, looks nicer, and doesn't have that hateful baffle system for expansion.

As far as I am aware there have been zero cases of correctly-installed unvented cylinders exploding. In the UK they have to have three safety devices on them, the chances of all three failing to a point where the cylinder will become dangerous are extremely small, providing they are installed correctly in the first place

Sponsored Links
I have purchased 4 from ebay over the years, never had a problem with them. They all come from relatively hardwater areas but have not suffered to any great extent with furring up of the coils (have checked them with an endoscope camera. Best one I got was under a year old for £80 including motorised valves expansion vessell for heating system timer and other stuff as the person went from megaflo to combi as they kept running out of hotwater (dont think they had been advised to leave on constant)

As long as you only buy stainless steel cylinders there is little problem.

There were some Ariston enamelled steel ones which had a shortish life mostly.

The rule of thumb is 50 li plus 50 li per person! So 250 li would fit that but most would go for the more popular 300 li size.

But before doing anything like that you need to measure the mains water dynamic flow rate.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Here is a picture of the coil inside a megaflo that I picked up for £50 that came from a hard water area in Kent and installled in a hard water area in Essex. It is over 15 years old and never gives the tenants any hassle. Can even see some shiny metal still

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back