megaflow filament cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My customer had the man from British Gas out to do some work. It looks like he accidentally knocked off and lost the cover from my customer's upper megaflow heating element.

Here is a photo of the lower element cover

20210119_123136.jpg

I can find a similar cover but it seems to be secured with a nut. I am not sure that the bolt on the fitting will be long enough to accommodate a nut rather than the screw head thingy.

The guy left it with no cover after he worked on the boiler next to it... There was power running to both of the elements. I have since turned off the power to both the upper and lower- one is a switched fused spur, the other is just a switch? No idea why they were both live in the first place.

Any replacement recommendations? Thanks

Sponsored Links
So BG damaged it, and then left the occupants exposed to mains voltages and you're not pursuing them for a new element if necessary?
Just how many regulations do they need to contravene...

So BG damaged it, and then left the occupants exposed to mains voltages and you're not pursuing them for a new element if necessary?
Just how many regulations do they need to contravene...

I noticed it missing on the Tuesday. BG had been there on the Saturday before. I had last previously been in the utility room two days before BG. I am pretty certain that if it had been missing before his visit, I would have noticed.

When I noticed it missing I covered it with a plastic milk bottle and asked why it was live in the first place. Rather than being annoyed with BG the customer seemed to be more happy to discover that his electricity bill would drop if he turned both elements off. Bizarre.

I suggest your "customer" pursue BG off his own back... Unless he can't be arsed.
If you're "commissioned" by him, to inspect it, then I would note it down and get him to sign that you have informed him... And, if asked, quote to put it right

Sponsored Links
I don't think he can be arsed.

I am there primarily to redecorate. His builder's decorators were rubbish, actually much of the finishing was rubbish. Whilst there I am also adjusting the new pocket doors, squaring up shower enclosures, etc.

I can find a similar cover but it seems to be secured with a nut. I am not sure that the bolt on the fitting will be long enough to accommodate a nut rather than the screw head

I think it wants a Sleeve Nut. Around M4? Perhaps M6

May be same size used on door handles

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back