Megaflow Unvented Mains water heater - no heat/hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My hot water and heating stopped on Sunday. I have a Megaflow unvented mains pressure heater in my airing cupboard which apparently has a stuck pump. I have a Potterton boiler in the kitchen. They are both under four years old. A plumber came to free the pump on Tuesday, the system started working again but has now stopped and again we have not no heat/hot water. I have been told a new pump is £125.

Is there anything I can do to "free" the pump and can it be fitted by anyone?

These questions may be naive but I am a single parent with a young daughter so trying to save costs.

Thanks for your responses. Jay

Sponsored Links
If the plumber found the pump was stuck and free it and the system worked find with heating and hot water all ok,and now your back to the same problem it appears that the pump is faulty ,,it can be change by anyone as long as the isolation valve each side of the pump hold the water back it ok but if not new valves are req with new pump,shop around for quotes to replace pump about £100 pound in total.good luck.

By the way you can free the pump sometimes by tapping the pump head,failing that you would have to remove the centre screw in pump head,you will get some water spray out,then use a screwdriver to free the pump shaft.

By the way you can free the pump sometimes by tapping the pump head,failing that you would have to remove the centre screw in pump head,you will get some water spray out,then use a screwdriver to free the pump shaft.

Thanks so much for your help. Are you able to tell which part is the pump shaft?

Kind regards

Jay

Sponsored Links
If the plumber found the pump was stuck and free it and the system worked find with heating and hot water all ok,and now your back to the same problem it appears that the pump is faulty ,,it can be change by anyone as long as the isolation valve each side of the pump hold the water back it ok but if not new valves are req with new pump,shop around for quotes to replace pump about £100 pound in total.good luck.

With a Grunfoss pump costing the plumber about £90, I doubt any will supply and fit one for just £100. For that bprice it would be a cheap DAB or Wilo pump.

In any case, I suspect the system is sludged if the pump is sticking after just four years.

If properly installed you will have the immersion heater to get hot water for the time being.

The FAQ on this site has loads of info for DIY pump checking/freeing.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back