megaflow unvented hot water system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have just bought a bungalow that I am renovating for my daughter. it appears to have no cold water cylinder and a blue tank which I assume is a megaflow as the cold water main seems to be connected to it. I have drained the central heating system to move pipes /rads around, the boiler seems to be connected to a header tank in the loft.

Pipework is very complex as a newish solar panel is also fitted on the roof.

The bathroom is on the ground floor and the megaflow is in the first floor dormer.
Questions:-

1. I shouldnt need a pump for a ground floor shower as its effectively mains pressure hot water?

2. Anything I need to consider when turning the water back on and filling the system?

3. The tank has an immersion heater but is not connected. can I safely connect it to a switched supply for emergency hot water?

4. I want to run a 15mm hot water feed back upstairs from the bathroom to a sink on the first floor that will be nearly the same height as the top of the tank. Will I get good hot water pressure here?

Thanks in advance. MPD5

Sponsored Links
souns like open vented c/h with unvented hot water?
1 - no
2 - no (usual airlocks etc)
3 must get correct immersion from cylinder manufacturers
4 hot water is mains...so will be as good as your mains water

worth getting the unvented serviced (by qualified plumber)

1, should read cannot fit a pump.

3, should read wire back to the CU.

The immersion must be wired through a thermal cut-out, should all be integral, but you shouldn't be playing with an un-vented cylinder.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the swift replies chaps, the immersion heater coil is in situ and there is a tank stat /cut out? that is already connected to the cylinder.

There is a feed from the consumer unit to the old airing upboard (switched) which is directly below the tank that I intend to extend.

Perhaps I should get a qualified 'unventer' to connect me up once I run the supply and get the system serviced / checked at the same time.

Sounds like this system will save me the expense of a costly pump anyway.

Cheers!
mpd5

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back