Megaflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a traditonal vented system with a large water tank in the loft and a hot water tank on the first floor. We also have a noisy shower pump that wakes up the kids! House has 2 bathrooms / 4 beds. Boiler is oil powered - a Boulter Camray

I'm keen to use the space in the loft and let the kids sleep.. so a few questions.

1) Is megaflow the way to go (do they have any cheaper competition as I have only been told of megaflow)
2) Will the megaflow give me similar pressure as the shower pump
3) Can the megaflow go in the loft (ie not where th ecurrent water tank is)
4) Can you put two side by side (as we have restricted height so need to avoid a tall one)
5) How much would a good budgetting estimate be for doing the work to remove the old tanks and plumb in the new system (exclusive of the megaflow cost

Thanks

Darren the Clueless

Sponsored Links
They do have cheaper alternatives....but you get what you pay for.

Any unvented works on mains pressure, this needs to be checked and the flow rate measured......20l per minute or more required ideally.

It could go in the loft......subject to structural load requirements....you need an expert for this

Yes you can piggy back but note the weight requirements and structural loads etc will double

Estimate 2-3.5k without the cylinders

You really need to talk to a G3 qualified engineer who will do the survey and tests needed and offer advice

There are quite a few options on the market instead of the megaflo you have the likes of OSO, Keston, Santon which are at the more expensive end or you can have the Gledhill,range tribune, Ariston and there are many more.

I have sold most of these over the years and have found that Gledhill have a very good range covering a wide range of sizes.

see link below to see whats available

http://tinyurl.com/unvented-cylinders

Rergards

Phil

Santon is the cheaper Name of megaflow and I like them.

In many ways they are better because they use a seperate expansion vessel.

If two are paralleled they need to be VERY carefully balanced. Alternatively each one can supply one bathroom.

You need a dynamic flow rate of at least 20 li/min.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Tony

Do you mean that the expansion vessel could sit to the side? As one of the issues I have is that the space I want to put it downstairs (ie if i dont move to loft) is where existing water cylinder is and it has restricted head height - so having expansion vessell to the side (rather than above) works better????

D

Megaflow has a built in expansion space.

Others us a seperate one which can be put anywhere.

Tony

Hi Darren

I had an unvented hot water cylinder fitted 7 years ago, but it proved to be a major headache (mega understatement). Don't get me wrong though, unvented hot water cylinders are ideal for those suffering from low-pressure mains.

First, the lack people in the plumbing industry who were certified to fit unvented hot water cylinder proved to be a major hurdle.

Secondly, there are a number of companies that manufacture this appliance, including, but not limited to:
  • Glow-worm
  • Heatrae Sadia [their unvented hot water cylinder product is called Megaflo]
  • Ariston Thermo Group
  • Main [who are part of the part of the Baxi Group, and so are Heatrae Sadia - so Main and Heatrae Sadia are sister companies)
  • McDonald Engineers
  • OSO Hotwater UK (UK subsidiary of a Norwegian company)
and it proved to be a challenge to determine who would give the best price to performance ratio, because unvented hot water cylinder do not come cheap.

Having located an apparent local plumber who claimed they could install one, and have done many previously, I requested references concerning this plumber and he had many satisfied customers, however none were for unvented hot water cylinders. At that time, it didn't concern me.

Prior to having the unvented hot water cylinder fitted, the two en-suite shower rooms that had a mains shower fitted, had an abysmal water pressure such that it was pretty much impossible to take a shower - a trickle of water is all we had. So we all had to make do with the main bathroom - so much for the plush en-suites. :(

Once the unvented hot water cylinder was fitted, both en-suites had excellent water pressure. It was a delight.

Then weeks later, impending disaster became to take shape. The unvented hot water cylinder that replaced the old bog-standard hot-water cylinder in the airing cupboard, began to leak, although I knew not from where. The tell-tale signs was the ceiling and the wall of one of the reception rooms (directly beneath the airing cupboard) that began to show a yellow discoloration.

The plumber dismissed this as something unconnected with the installation of the unvented hot water cylinder, and a week later, water was visible, trickling down the sides of the wall of the reception room.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, after calling numerous plumbers, most of whom had no or little experience in fitting unvented hot water cylinders, within a month and a half, part of the cavity wall and ceiling literally crumbled into rubble on the floor. There was so much internal seepage of water down the cavity wall.

Googling/Yellow pages searching and calling out for experienced plumbers proved to be fruitless and a waste of time, and within 3 months part of the ceiling beneath the hot water cylinder had collapsed, and the cavity wall of the reception had rotted badly.

Exacerbating this situation, most of the radiators on the ground floor were leaking to the extent the carpets in all the affected rooms were water-logged permanently - due to the pressure of the water circulating in the radiators.

The house stank and the atmosphere was putrid.

Q: What do I do when no one could give any resolution to this problem ?

A: Quit now whilst the house is still standing, and sell.

I was particularly fortunate, in spite of the worsening state of the house, I moved within 8 months of having the unvented hot water cylinder fitted.

Having pursued the initial plumber with litigation, he had moved from his 25 year base - he got scared and did a runner. The f**k**g basket-case.

Lessons to learn
----------------------
(1) GET SOMEONE QUALIFIED TO FIT an UNVENTED HOT WATER CYLINDER - CHECK UP WITH THE MANUFACTURER OF THE APPLIANCE TO SEE IF HE IS ACCREDITED OR NOT.

(2) Get the Unvented Hot Water Cylinder fitted in the garage, to save yourself from any potential disaster. In the loft is a bad bad idea.

(3) Better to get one of the cylinder's MANUFACTURER to recommend an engineer/installer to fit one.

(4) Seek advice from forums such as these. I wish I had.

(5) Don't get put of by my incident, just be far more savvy than I was.

(6) Good luck, you'll need it.

Did you not think to turn the thing off as soon as it started leaking??

Hmmm, far be it for me to um question the details on your experience but i find it quite frankly amazing.

No details on what evenually the problem was.

Oh and for instance megaflo warrant their cylinders for 15years......so at worst you should have been able to claim under warranty if the cylinder was faulty.

what made the radiators leak? i wouldnt mind betting,high pressure cws mains is getting into the heating circuit.

wow - the system I want is a vented system so I suspect the risk isnt as high

Then if it's vented it won't give you mains pressure......so we are not talking apples and apples.....

What are you on about?

I am talking about hot water rather than the rads - ie i thought the megaflo creates the pressure?

Nope. The megaflo cylinder just stores the water. It's your incomming mains that creates the pressure and delivers it via the megaflow (which heats it via a coil)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back