Where to site a megaflow and boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

1. Where is the best place to site a mega flow system in the house, garage perhaps?

2. What about the boiler, if possible is it better to site the boiler and megaflow together if space allows so that the hot water run is less and therefore save energy?

3. If keeping a megaflow in the garage, will the tank suffer any degradation of heat performance because of cold air in the gaps etc. Or is it better to make use of the heat of the megaflow inside the house if space permits?

4. If the house is large (circa. 4000 ft squared) but there will be few occupants, how best can the system be designed such that there is minimal waste ?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Garage is the best place for end user and engineer -end user= no noise from boiler/water noise through cylinder you may need a secondary return on your hot water depends on furthest hot outlet,no an issue though.
From an engineers point of view they can pipe it neatly and maintain/service boiler and cylinder with no disruption within house,at some stage they will need to drain down boiler and cylinder to change/maintain parts you have no issue of flooding house out.controls can be fitted aswell-aslong as you have pipework lagged and frost stat can't go wrong and more space in the house
Good luck

1 totally.
2 proper lagging negates these worries.
3 as above.
4 as Hason said. Secondary return might be an idea. Other than than that, choose an installer that understands system design rather than the cheapest way to sling a box on the wall.

Guess where my boiler and cylinder is installed? ;).

thanks for the feedback and comments. can you please advise what is the professional or proper way of having a house's plumbing system and heating system design if it is to be installed by the builders or their contractors?

Sponsored Links
You don't have to use your builders plumber, you can pick a local engineer that knows what he's doing and he will liaise with with your builder/architect

Alternately (based on your post your builder hasn't had a proper spec done) you could engage with a htg engineer who will design your system for a fee and you can then use them to install or the builders can work from their spec.

You obviously have questions/doubts over what your builder wants to do? I would find someone in Hertfordshire who's knows what they are doing.

Oh look the poster above is in Hertfordshire and seems to know what he's talking about ;)

Hi

It's not a case of my builder not knowing what to do (haven't finalised a builder yet) but a case of having a design properly specified that they can quote for and follow the design. A heating engineer sounds like an idea.

What could I expect to pay for such a service. To design the plumbing and heating system?

Kind of depends on the detail you want and the information you have and is you need Heatloss calcs doing.

When we do it out is refundable against work done.

If you have an airimg cupboard and it is in the middle of the house that's wehere I think the cylinder should go, minimal runs to kitchen and bath tap. Kitchen more imortant as that is used most. Heat is in the core of the house protection against freezing less of a problem.

The further away the Hot water from the taps the more waste of hot and cold water.

If your garage is close do that but if not think about inside the house.

Boiler as close to the cylinder as possible, above is OK, short primaries.

Just my sixpennyworth.

Dan's is in his garage because he has some sort of test station in there which couldn't possibly be fitted inside the house and he dries his electric sex pants on the cylinder.

True, but the bathroom and ensuite are close by, and the kitchen and utility, although relatively close too for the house size have dedicated feeds from the cylinder in small pipe diameter to minimise waste draw off and the added benefit of restricting flow rates which also saves water.

This is part of the logic behind having a combi boiler feeding both heating and hot water AND Hot water cylinder. Why heat a cylinder for the washing up?

Can limit other control options though. Hence our discussion the other day ;)

True, but the bathroom and ensuite are close by, and the kitchen and utility, although relatively close too for the house size have dedicated feeds from the cylinder in small pipe diameter to minimise waste draw off and the added benefit of restricting flow rates which also saves water.

This is part of the logic behind having a combi boiler feeding both heating and hot water AND Hot water cylinder. Why heat a cylinder for the washing up?

Can limit other control options though. Hence our discussion the other day ;)

Working on it for my place :D

It sounds as if Dan has a partial spur system for feeding hot water to the outlets.

I quite like that system if a pumped loop is not being used.

But I have only once seen it and that was in a large converted warehouse in Islington.

Tony

Thanks for all the comments, very insightful. Below is the plan for the house after we undertake the renovation.

I will seek professional advice as I cannot afford to get this wrong, but just for the moment, I want to be better informed and clued up in my mind as to possible options.

The architect has proposed to put the mega flow in the garage as you can see indicated. I was hoping to put the boiler next to it with the flue pointing outside the wall. However, having read MANY posts on this forum in the last 12 hours, I run the risk of upsetting the neighbour whose boundary fence is 500mm away and where there is a fence. Highly likely then that steam will come out their end, so want to be considerate and rethink that idea (I understand it needs to be 600m away for building regs from all these posts). I just don't want a long pipe run going through the playroom to the utility. However, if the boiler is then placed facing the boundary in the bottom right corner of the utility, it will be 1m away from the boundary. Will that be more acceptable?

Secondly, is it possible a second boiler might be needed for the house or would the existing Viessman Vitodens 100-W WB1B 35kw combi be sufficient do you think?

Thirdly, as you can see most of the bathrooms etc are located to the right of the house except for the en suite in bedroom 2. Not all the rooms will be occupied as we are small family who bought into this big project. Is a secondary return needed for this type of house setup if bedroom 2 is not going to be used that much? Is it foolish to have some sort of water heater for just that room rather than always piping hot water there (I'm just brain storming here).

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back